Utah Hunt Application Period Now Open

wjohnson1983

Made my annual donation. Between all these states I'll have to get lucky somewhere. Probably used it up last year though.

wjohnson1983

It depends on the state. Utah, you have to buy a hunting license and then apply for a tag for each species individually. Each species has an application fee. If you're lucky enough to draw, you then have to pay the tag fee.

At this stage I shoot for the stars hoping I get lucky and build points. Lots of articles about "point creep" Most tags that I apply for have <1% chance of drawing.

AT Hiker

I've heard that point creep is sooo horrible in UT, coupled with low tag numbers, most of us are 135 years from actually drawing a tag😱

Yet, here I go about to put my name in the hat!

LanceS4803

I've heard that point creep is sooo horrible in UT, coupled with low tag numbers, most of us are 135 years from actually drawing a tag😱

Yet, here I go about to put my name in the hat!
It's pretty bad if you came in 12 years ago.
While in UT, a Resident can only put in points for one OIL hunt a year. So I am way up there for Bison and LE Deer with 17.
But, the exact year I moved back to TN is when they allowed NR to put in for every OIL.
Just look at the difference between those with 11 and 12 points!
Literally one year makes the difference if you will draw or not.
Technically, I may make the Bison hunt in 10 or 12 years.

Attachments

• UT points.png
    UT points.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

tellico4x4

I'm waffling. Reality is I won't live long enough to draw a good hunt. At 67 & only 12 points for limited entry it probably ain't going to happen. Many thanks to Lance who hooked me up with a private landowner last year that I could draw. Pulled the trigger, then backed out at last minute due to fires & drought. Believe it was a good decision as that is just really not my kind of hunt. Have done ranch hunts before, but at my stage I really enjoy diy. I get as much fun as just being there for several weeks trying to pull in all together as I do the killing anymore.

Only 2 points out of max for WY elk, deer & antelope, so that's 3 more western hunts ahead of me. Add a couple SD hunts into the mix & I think I'll be done... It's not like I don't have a good place here to recluse to 😁.

LanceS4803

I drew a general archery tag, struck out as usual on LE elk. Didn't make my annual sheep donation this year.
You can draw out the Cache-Meadowville unit with next to no points. BUT, it is almost all private, so will have to go with a guided hunt.
Might be worth the cost, compared to waiting another 10 years to draw.

sneakybow

You can draw out the Cache-Meadowville unit with next to no points. BUT, it is almost all private, so will have to go with a guided hunt.
Might be worth the cost, compared to waiting another 10 years to draw.
Nah, I lived in Cache Valley and have friends over on the Cache-Meadowville side with property. Some good bulls over there but not worth dumping points for at this point. Not once you've seen bulls in other units lol.

Latest posts