Update my 2x7 scope

mjac

mjac

Supporter
Sadly my woods hunting has come to an end. I am no longer able to climb or walk in the woods and certainly not here in the humps where I live. I am not ruling out open fields or power line hunts somewhere if the opportunity presents itself.

That out of the way, and since most of my shooting will now be at longer ranges, I am wanting to replace the 2x7 (Leupold, not that it matters) on my 7mm08 Tikka. I have a 200 yard range available and would very much like to see 7mm holes at 200 yds rather than walk or use a spotting scope.

I haven't had to scope shop in a very long time and have not kept up with the latest and greatest. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, I am more of a set it and forget it after load development, shooter. So what's out there you would recommend?

TIA

280longshot

280longshot

To be honest a 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x40 is all I use for hunting, they generally are lighter, have better eye relief and don't require a side focus. When I'm shooting long range I always use a spotting scope to see the holes.
Now there are some targets that'll turn green where the holes are and may aid in you being able to see where your bullets hit.

mjac

mjac

Supporter
I seem to remember being told or reading its better to put money into a good 3x9 than to spend more for higher power.
I am leaning towards a good to better 3x9. Which one is the question?
Thanks for your reply.

Semper Fi, btw.

W

Wiley

Look at Sightron scopes. Top quality glass that is, I believe, Japanese and they're very, very close to German quality glass. I have a couple and really like them.

280longshot

280longshot

I have Leupold VX3i , Zeiss, Redifeld, and like them all but my Zeiss I like better. You'll get many opinions about scopes a budget is always good to know.
If you ever visit 24 hr campfire in the Optics forum you'll learn a lot about optics.
If was me I would read up about about Meopta meopro, or the GPO Passion 3x both are very similar to the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 which is very popular but no longer made.
The GPO passion 3x would be one that I would look hard at over on camerland.http://cameralandny.com/riflescopes.html?catalog[search][spec_value_ids][206902][]=10768376

mjac

mjac

Supporter
Yes sir, I have been on 24CF and both GPO and Meopta MeoPro have peaked my interest. I'll have a call into Cameraland tomorrow to see if either can be had with a #4 reticle. Either would fit the wallet.
I was trying to buy an older conquest here but ultimately the seller decided to keep it. I was bidding on one on fleabay but backed off it, figuring I just as well go new.
I have a older, Leupold made 3x9 Redfield on another rifle I no longer shoot and I may have to take a fresh look thru it just for grins.

Thanks

280longshot

280longshot

The GPO does come with the G4 illuminated reticle...that one really has my interest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mjac

mjac

Supporter
280longshot":3mlxe0i1 said:
The GPO does come with the G4 illuminated reticle...that one really has my interest.

They are rather proud of those.........

280longshot

280longshot

I talked to Doug @ cameraland and he's very customer friendly. If you're not satisfied with a product just return it.
How's that for customer service.

mjac

mjac

Supporter
280longshot":1hhwr56q said:
I talked to Doug @ cameraland and he's very customer friendly. If you're not satisfied with a product just return it.
How's that for customer service.

24hr CF says he is the man.

mjac

mjac

Supporter
markwondi":1yfma5or said:
What do you consider “long range”?

If you are asking me, I said,
most of my shooting will now be at longer ranges
In the context of my OP, my woods hunting here in the humps, a 75 yard shot was a long shot. Now I have a 200 range available, so that will be my "longer range".

YMMV

M

markwondi

You’ll want alpha glass. Right now, Swarovski Z3’s are an excellent deal and would meet your “long range” requirements and still provide for a lighter weight hunting rifle.

3-10x42 or 4-12x50

M

markwondi

mjac":2wzzo2y8 said:
I have that exact scope on a couple of my Kimber Montana’s. The glass is superb; clarity is excellent edge to edge and extremely bright. It also weighed exactly 12oz on my scale.

I would move up to the 3-10x42 for your usage and Tikka rifle though but either will meet your needs.