Unique Identifying Antler Characteristic

Ski

This buck was a yearling in 2020 and already had a weird devil's horn tine on the base of his left antler. It showed up again at 2yrs, and now again at 3yrs. Aside from extra mass, he doesn't look a whole lot different than he did a 2yrs, but its still early. I think it's neat how their antlers are kinda like our fingerprints, completely unique to the individual.

First pic is 2020, then 2021, and now this spring.

Attachments

• 20220615_102702.jpg
    20220615_102702.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220615_100211.jpg
    20220615_100211.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220615_100333.jpg
    20220615_100333.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 63

BSK

It never ceases to amaze me how bucks will keep a "uniqueness" about their antlers throughout their lifespan. It's rare that I can identify a buck from yearling to 2 1/2, because their antlers change so much between those ages, but it's not unprecedented. However, from 2 1/2 on, I usually can. The toughest are the standard "basic-frame 8s" I see so many of. But even among those, a specific "shape" to the rack, or more often the browtines, are the giveaway.

JCDEERMAN

Very cool and yes it is crazy. Agree with @BSK that from 2.5 and growing older, it's fairly easy to identify different bucks. 1.5 to 2.5 is nearly impossibly unless they are genetically superior or have something abnormal like in this buck here. I've been fortunate enough to be able to track deer from year to year ever since trail cameras became available. We used to have just the "run of the mill" 8 points and that was it. Over the last 10 years, we have been flourished with 10 pointers and on up. I'm sure there are several factors, but I'm thinking a couple BAD EHD outbreaks and different deer groups moving in from other areas to fill in the void contributed to a whole slew of different genetics we had never seen before (for 10 years prior).

Ski

We used to have just the "run of the mill" 8 points and that was it. Over the last 10 years, we have been flourished with 10 pointers and on up. I'm sure there are several factors, but I'm thinking a couple BAD EHD outbreaks and different deer groups moving in from other areas to fill in the void contributed to a whole slew of different genetics we had never seen before (for 10 years prior).

Ailments and/or injuries cause some weird antler growth. I let a guy hunt a couple years ago and he said he shot a small buck but it ran off as if it wasn't even hit. Well, it showed up in spring at a water hole and the wound was evident, so he had indeed hit it. The exit wound came out way down near belly the opposite side and left him with a slight limp that never went away, even though the wound healed. No idea how he survived a shot like that. He hung around all summer into fall and it was neat to see what he turned into. He grew a double main beam on the entry side.

No clue how EHD would affect antler growth but I suspect it could get weird. I personally like character racks. Usually means the buck is a survivor.

Attachments

• Marshal's Wounded Buck_Moment.jpg
    Marshal's Wounded Buck_Moment.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DMB 16sep21.JPG
    DMB 16sep21.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 46

BSK

Ailments and/or injuries cause some weird antler growth. I let a guy hunt a couple years ago and he said he shot a small buck but it ran off as if it wasn't even hit. Well, it showed up in spring at a water hole and the wound was evident, so he had indeed hit it. The exit wound came out way down near belly the opposite side and left him with a slight limp that never went away, even though the wound healed. No idea how he survived a shot like that. He hung around all summer into fall and it was neat to see what he turned into. He grew a double main beam on the entry side.

No clue how EHD would affect antler growth but I suspect it could get weird. I personally like character racks. Usually means the buck is a survivor.
No idea if EHD causes antler deformations, but as you pointed out in those cool pictures, body injuries sure will!

I would love to know what happened to this stud to cause such an odd rack. And by the way, I've always thought this guy was big enough to saddle and ride!

Attachments

• buck0641a.jpg
    buck0641a.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 33

BSK

That's a possibility, especially with hoof cracking injuries.
Although my place experienced no EHD deaths from the 2019 local outbreak, I heard the surrounding bottomlands did. And once I started using video trail-cameras, I started noticing a bunch of deer limping. At first I wondered if they were arrow/bullet injuries, but once I killed one of these limping deer, I found this (see pics below). Several of the limping bucks have been around since 2019 and no obvious antler deformations.

Attachments

• EHD1.jpg
    EHD1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 28
  • EHD2.jpg
    EHD2.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 28

JCDEERMAN

Although my place experienced no EHD deaths from the 2019 local outbreak, I heard the surrounding bottomlands did. And once I started using video trail-cameras, I started noticing a bunch of deer limping. At first I wondered if they were arrow/bullet injuries, but once I killed one of these limping deer, I found this (see pics below). Several of the limping bucks have been around since 2019 and no obvious antler deformations.
Good! And good to know! This should be our first "back to normal" year after the 2019 outbreak. Populations seem to be looking great. I've seen some great antler quality and uniqueness since 2019 when outside deer groups moved in

BSK

We used to have just the "run of the mill" 8 points and that was it. Over the last 10 years, we have been flourished with 10 pointers and on up. I'm sure there are several factors, but I'm thinking a couple BAD EHD outbreaks and different deer groups moving in from other areas to fill in the void contributed to a whole slew of different genetics we had never seen before (for 10 years prior).
I bet what your seeing is just the result of two factors. First, selectiveness in harvest. As TheLBLman keeps rightfully harping about, killing the top middle-aged bucks greatly reduces the antler potential of mature bucks. Second, you've vastly improved your habitat.

I have a client I've been running camera censuses for a number of years. They hired me because they were having a problem with small-antlered mature bucks. In fact, the first year I ran a census for them, only 19% of their mature bucks had 9 or more points. Now, several years later, improved habitat, and implementing a protection program for the largest antlered middle-aged bucks, 43% of their mature bucks have 9 or more points. Big place with little inflow of bucks. It wasn't a change in genetics. It was a change in habitat quality and protecting the top-end young bucks.

JCDEERMAN

I bet what your seeing is just the result of two factors. First, selectiveness in harvest. As TheLBLman keeps rightfully harping about, killing the top middle-aged bucks greatly reduces the antler potential of mature bucks. Second, you've vastly improved your habitat.

I have a client I've been running camera censuses for a number of years. They hired me because they were having a problem with small-antlered mature bucks. In fact, the first year I ran a census for them, only 19% of their mature bucks had 9 or more points. Now, several years later, improved habitat, and implementing a protection program for the largest antlered middle-aged bucks, 43% of their mature bucks have 9 or more points. Big place with little inflow of bucks. It wasn't a change in genetics. It was a change in habitat quality and protecting the top-end young bucks.
Absolutely many factors, especially the habitat change. I didn't think about TheLBLman's theory, but makes perfect sense and would bet my paycheck that has helped in the equation.

Wow that's a huge percentage change! I'm willing to bet ours is close to that. I wish I was adamant about our numbers and statistics like you!

Latest posts