UF VS UT afterthoughts

Gravey

I'll take the W however they can get it. Do think Napier hurt Florida going for 2 twice. Made no sense. Both qb's made the defenses look silly. Lots of work to do in the secondary. They bent but didn't break and got pressure on AR15 on the last play that kept him from getting the ball into the end zone. Regardless I'll gladly take it because in the last 15 years those are games that end with a L for the Vols.

THEdonkey0515

The fact is Heuple is a Big 12 coach with a Big 12 mindset. He'll never have a great defense, mediocre defense at best. But all he needs is a defense that can give him a couple or 3 stops per game. Napier was smart by going for so many times on 4th down. At least by going for it, he had a chance of keeping the ball away from Heuple and Hooker and having a chance in the fourth qt. The 1 time Florida did punt it ended in a 99 yd td drive right before half time. Field position is a nonfactor.
The fact UF ran up and down the field all day. Went 5 for 6 on 4th down. Grabbed a onside kick set a punt on the 1 yard line, and forced & recovered two fumbles.... and still couldn't keep up with Tennessee offensive machine is crazy.

Pruitt was a SEC guy & a defensive guy.. His Defenses sucked at UT as well.

If UT can ever get a Defense with a pulse they would truly be scary. Don't have to be good get off the field on 3ed and 4th downs a few times a game force a turnover here and there. And the Vols Offense can win alot of games .

Also, The last 4 Vols coaches leave Pitt with a L and leave Saturday with a L 100%

Last edited:

LY

I thought TN had a couple of good defenses under Pruitt, it was just his offenses went so many 3-and-outs that the defense got gassed in the second half.

THEdonkey0515

I thought TN had a couple of good defenses under Pruitt, it was just his offenses went so many 3-and-outs that the defense got gassed in the second half.
Maybe so, looks they ranked 7th in the SEC 2019 8th in the SEC in 2018 and 8th In the SEC 2020. I believe he also had a little more talent on that side of the ball as well then UT does right now.

But it could have been because his offensive consisted of 3 sacks and if he was lucky they got to punt.

Pruitt would have lost that game by 21 Saturday.

Last edited:

wayne

Tennessee had the ball for 9 drives Saturday. 2 ended with fumbles lost. 1(final drive) ended by turnover on downs. The other 6 ended with points scored, 5 TD and 1 field goal.

chris1976

The fact is Heuple is a Big 12 coach with a Big 12 mindset. He'll never have a great defense, mediocre defense at best. But all he needs is a defense that can give him a couple or 3 stops per game. Napier was smart by going for so many times on 4th down. At least by going for it, he had a chance of keeping the ball away from Heuple and Hooker and having a chance in the fourth qt. The 1 time Florida did punt it ended in a 99 yd td drive right before half time. Field position is a nonfactor.
That is all opinion and no facts. I follow Vols football year round and especially recruiting. Heuple is recruiting at a very high level, especially on defense. We have one of the best defensive line coaches the SEC has seen. If Tim Banks and Willie Martinez don't cut it I am confident Heuple will find coaches who will. Not only will we have an adequate defense, within 2 years it will be an elite defense. Doubters gonna doubt but heuple is the real deal.

THEdonkey0515

That is all opinion and no facts. I follow Vols football year round and especially recruiting. Heuple is recruiting at a very high level, especially on defense. We have one of the best defensive line coaches the SEC has seen. If Tim Banks and Willie Martinez don't cut it I am confident Heuple will find coaches who will. Not only will we have an adequate defense, within 2 years it will be an elite defense. Doubters gonna doubt but heuple is the real deal.
I believe so also. I think Heupel knows he has to get more outta the Defense. People forgot the mess he was left to work with hardly Any depth and not much talent on that side ot the ball right now

Two top 10 edge rushers and three 4* DBs with a 4* DL committed in the 2023 class

Vols signed three 4* D-Lineman last year just all true freshman not seeing the field.

Last edited:

sgtwebb1

Yeah, It's not like UT has all kinds of Depth on D eighter. everyone hoping they got some good ones coming in next year. UT has two top 10 edge rushers and probably the best DB class they have had in a while three 4* Dbs committed right now.
Yes they do, Defense seems to be a slightly higher priority in the 2023 class.
They have several high 4* kids coming in, maybe a couple that will be bumped up to 5* by the time their high school seasons are over.

THEdonkey0515

Yes they do, Defense seems to be a slightly higher priority in the 2023 class.
They have several high 4* kids coming in, maybe a couple that will be bumped up to 5* by the time their high school seasons are over.
Yeah right now vols have the 8th and 9th edge rushers both committed. And two top 15 DBs according to 247.

They actually signed three 4* D-Lineman last class. Just hard to get on the field as a true freshman.

This D will get better with Depth and more talent soon.

Latest posts