TWRA to take over the Carroll County 1,000 acre recreational lake (update of sorts)

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
All the coves are. Middle of the lake is where the skiers, tubers, and pleasure craft folks are supposed to stay. Swimming is supposed to be restricted to the beach areas I believe.
You are correct. The powerlines are the "line" that separates the no wake zone from the rest of the lake.

@woodyard and I were fishing there one morning and we were about half way between the ramp and the dam.
I saw "something" orange out in the middle of the lake headed our way, from the ramp.
It was a buoy thing, like you see lifeguards on the beach have.
It was tied to a woman and she was swimming.
She went almost to the dam, then turned around and started heading back. :eek:

I remember he made a good net man that day too. :D
tarpwood.jpg

Last edited:

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I made my first visit to 1000 Acre Lake last Thursday (brutal heat). The guy I was fishing with wasn't in a hurry to get there so we arrived at about 8:30. I was surprised at the number of boat trailers in the parking lot. There were probably 15 to 20 on a Thursday; only a couple remained when we left at about 1pm.

I was impressed with the lake. The water was pretty clear. We found some very active bream beds. We caught and released a countless number of bluegills and a few shellcrackers. Most of the fish were in 8 to 9.5 inch range with a couple of shellcrackers and bluegills right at 10 inches. I saw a lot of small bass everywhere in the lake.

It will be interesting to see if the TWRA makes any changes to the size and limits of fish, especially bass, in the near future. It appears that the 14-18 PLR (slot limit) has been in effect for a while. I've read that the bass quality has gone down over the years; I would have thought the slot limit would have been more effective if that is the case.

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I made my first visit to 1000 Acre Lake last Thursday (brutal heat). The guy I was fishing with wasn't in a hurry to get there so we arrived at about 8:30. I was surprised at the number of boat trailers in the parking lot. There were probably 15 to 20 on a Thursday; only a couple remained when we left at about 1pm.

I was impressed with the lake. The water was pretty clear. We found some very active bream beds. We caught and released a countless number of bluegills and a few shellcrackers. Most of the fish were in 8 to 9.5 inch range with a couple of shellcrackers and bluegills right at 10 inches. I saw a lot of small bass everywhere in the lake.

It will be interesting to see if the TWRA makes in changes to the size and limits of fish, especially bass, in the near future. It appears that the 14-18 PLR (slot limit) has been in effect for a while. I've read that the bass quality has gone down over the years; I would have thought the slot limit would have been more effective if that is the case.
I'm gonna need some gps numbers on those beds 😂

CBU93

I'm pretty out of touch on the politics of it. We started paying $10 wheeler tax when they started building it. It was proposed that the lake would be paid off in "x" amount of years. We are WELL past that point and still paying the extra $10 per year. I'm thankful they built and glad to contribute…it just didn't go as planned on the payoff. $87 per year for tags is ridiculous though and I'll be happy if they knock $10 off when it's paid.
LMAO @ $87 a year being ridiculous…

bluball

if they dont put some restrictions on that lake and enforce them itll be fished out like browns creek, pin oak and a couple of other family lakes. i know a teenager from lexington and his daddy that has basically stocked their pond with big bass from those lakes. no telling how many they took out of browns creek.
Pinoak fished out,everytime i go there i catch alot of crappie and some good bass.Bet i caught over 100 crappie last trip,always do goo there.

WTM

Pinoak fished out,everytime i go there i catch alot of crappie and some good bass.Bet i caught over 100 crappie last trip,always do goo there.
yeah, i hadnt been in several years but a guy at work was talking about pin oak last week. i told him i was getting tired of big crappie falling apart when i cook them and i couldnt find many under 12 inches on ky lake when i do end up catching them. he told me they changed to no length limit and you could keep some smaller fish now.

i may be fishing there more sometime.

BuckWild

yeah, i hadnt been in several years but a guy at work was talking about pin oak last week. i told him i was getting tired of big crappie falling apart when i cook them and i couldnt find many under 12 inches on ky lake when i do end up catching them. he told me they changed to no length limit and you could keep some smaller fish now.

Same at Brown's Lake as well. No size limit on crappie

bluball

If you scan in the deeper water and mark stuff you should catch alot.Someone has put structure in at pinoak,not alot though,have to cover water to find it

arkwaterfowler

this is what happens when a bunch of good ole boy democrats comes up with an idea to make money for themselves, but dont have enough gubment money to pay for it. so now the state is going to bail out their broke arses so they dont have to raise property taxes.

id say this is going to piss a lot of folks off in Stevens' other district counties since they have already raised our property taxes and our roads look like crap, county and state.

if the TWRA wants to own and manage it, then fine, pay the $11 million out of TWRA funding not the state's fund.
What proof do you have to support your allegations?

Latest posts