TWRA statement on bucks with brain abcceses...

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

I’m fairly new to chasing deer with antlers I️ used to be a one and done meat guy.. TWRA issued a statement with symptoms of bucks with brain abscesses and it’s absolutely what my last buck had... He was blind in one eye that was covered with yellow greenish puss and the other was pretty bad too. He also had a broken G3 and was definitely moving slower than the other bucks around... TWRA says they meat should not be eaten and I️ had it processed and have been feeding my family and friends for 2 weeks now.... My youngest son is currently sick with a stomach issue (virus)... How bad is this??

611644d432687cd9e865b2774974982c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Not up on the news with all that but hope your son is ok. Hopefully it's just the flu bug going around.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Are you talking about chronic wasting disease or something else? I can't find anything that TWRA has put out about brain abscesses..

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

ttf909

ttf909

Supporter
I have tossed 2 bucks to the coyotes after checking them out legally because they were eat up with infection. My buddies gave me a lot of crap over it but it's not a good idea to eat something that has jnfection .
That being said lots of folks with stomach bug right now including me

duckduck84

duckduck84

Just did some quick research and this article says the meat should be safe to eat.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/pr/2011/12/1 ... for-alarm/

As others have said there's a lot of stomach viruses going around right now and various bugs. Working in a hospital system I can tell you that we are overrun with it right now so I don't think I would worry too much especially if other members of the family that have eaten the meat aren't showing signs or symptoms of anything.

M

mike243

Please post where TWRA put out a statement,prayers for a quick recovery

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

duckduck84":34skl5dn said:
Just did some quick research and this article says the meat should be safe to eat.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/pr/2011/12/1 ... for-alarm/

As others have said there's a lot of stomach viruses going around right now and various bugs. Working in a hospital system I can tell you that we are overrun with it right now so I don't think I would worry too much especially if other members of the family that have eaten the meat aren't showing signs or symptoms of anything.

Yeah I’m pretty sure and hoping it’s a stomach bug, but this news certainly has me concerned..

I’m trying to find some more info on the contamination of the meat...? I️ really just hate this but I’m probably going to toss the meat as a precaution... Haven’t even gotten to the tenderloin yet..

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

5e19feb45c51129d0d80c872673adbd9.jpg

It’s on Facebook..

M

mike243

Thanks I don't FB but they do have it posted,a quick look on the net sez meat is fine but I would not temp fate my self,congrats on a nice buck

duckduck84

duckduck84

Bgoodman30":31sbm39c said:

It’s on Facebook..

Interesting. I wonder what their reasoning is for not consuming the meat? Not saying I disagree, but there does appear to be discrepancies in whether it's OK or not. Maybe post a question to them on Facebook?

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

duckduck84":18zqca7b said:
Bgoodman30":18zqca7b said:

It’s on Facebook..

Interesting. I wonder what their reasoning is for not consuming the meat? Not saying I disagree, but there does appear to be discrepancies in whether it's OK or not. Maybe post a question to them on Facebook?

Hopefully just a precaution but it’s kind of unsettling to read “the meat should not be eaten” after the meat has been eaten...

E

elknturkey

There's been articles out for years stating that the meat was safe and it wasn't transferable to humans but I had read an article fairly recent that they weren't so sure and now recommend not eating the meat. I'll see if I can dig it up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

M

Mike Belt

If a body has an infection that traumatic I'm not eating it with or without a warning from TWRA or anyone else. I've heard of this brain infection for several years now; primarily with bucks and damages done to their antlers while fighting or even during rubbing on trees.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Bgoodman30":377thbxu said:
duckduck84":377thbxu said:
Bgoodman30":377thbxu said:

It’s on Facebook..

Hopefully just a precaution but it’s kind of unsettling to read “the meat should not be eaten” after the meat has been eaten...

No doubt. I don't believe I would eat it either. What part of the state are you in? I have some extra I'd be happy to give y'all.

C

cbdunn21

Sorry for the long post, but I have several different experiences that may be helpful. Please remember that this is based only on my personal experiences and opinions and should not be read as fact.

I shot a buck at Fort Campbell last year in mid December that had a brain abscess. The first time I saw him, he was walking by at a steady pace about 80 yards away, and I just wasn't 100% sure he was a shooter. The next day, I saw glimpses of him again as he was trotting by in a thicket, but couldn't have shot even if I was sure. A week later, I saw him again chasing some does and finally pulled the trigger. The point is that he never acted strange or affected at all, but when I got to him, he had some battle scars on his head and neck, the base of an antler was seeping some nasty green stuff, and his head was swollen. He was also relatively lean, but I guess that's to be expected with bucks in December. I spoke with the game warden, the staff at the check station, and did some online research before coming to my own conclusions. In my case, I decided that the meat was safe to eat (a key point here is that the deer appeared and acted completely normal). Cranial abscesses appear to be somewhat common results from fighting and other aggressive behaviors. Some deer can survive cranial abscesses, but once the infection crosses the skull plate, it becomes a brain abscess which is supposedly always fatal. I am not sure if the deer I shot would have lived or died, or if the meat would have ever become unsafe, but we have eaten much if not all of that deer and have not had any issues.

Many years before that experience, we came upon a buck with a brain abscess on public land at the end of December. The buck had already shed both antlers, was noticeably disoriented, did not seem to be afraid, and had atrophied very significantly. It was obvious that this deer was nearly dead. With proper authorization, the deer was put out of its misery. It was completely obvious that this deer was not safe to eat.

On another occasion that is somewhat related, I shot a doe at Fort Campbell a long time ago that had a hairless spot on her back above her rear quarters that looked like a healed wound. I saw her drop and very soon started to field dress her. When I made my first cut at the base of her ribs, a green liquid literally sprayed out. She looked healthy (aside from being dead), had no other open wounds, and the meat appeared and smelled fine at first glance so I finished field dressing her. We took that particular doe to a meat processor that we had used on and off for a long time. When he started to process it several days later, he called us and told us the meat was no good. That is the only time in my life I have had that happen. I talked to a biologist that said the wound could have come from a fence or an errant shot and resulted in an infection. He went on to say that that just like in humans, some infections are worse than others. He said that if the infection had spread through her body and she was unable to fight it off, it could have possibly made the meat unsafe, but would certainly have caused it to degrade much faster once the deer was dead.

All of these deer had infections, but one was apparently fine, while the others were not. The good news is that the condition of the meat seems to be fairly apparent. The first deer was fine, the second was very obviously bad, and the third was noticeably bad to the butcher once he started working on her. Also, in my limited experience with bad meat, the smell, color, and texture of the meat are good indicators of the condition of the meat. It is a good sign if no one noticed any weird signs with the meat from your deer while field dressing, processing, or cooking it, but the blindness and condition of the deer you reported sure make it sound like he could have at least had the beginning of a brain abscess. With all that said, I can only imagine the anxiety of your situation after seeing this report and already having a kid with stomach issues. Like others have said, there are a lot of bugs going around so hopefully that is the cause. Regardless of whether it is a regular sickness or if it is from the meat, I hope your son recovers quickly and I'll be sure to pray for him. In the meantime, you might do as I did with the doe and call TWRA to get in touch with a biologist to learn more.

Below are a couple pics of the head of the fort campbell buck I mentioned that show the seeping infection and the swollen head.

Attachments

• 2y.png
    2y.png
    57 KB · Views: 406
  • 1y.png
    1y.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 407
Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

duckduck84":3g1hopd8 said:
Bgoodman30":3g1hopd8 said:

It’s on Facebook..

I have no idea about their reasoning, but the fact that the article from Alabama is six years old tends to give the current TWRA article a bit more credence, though that factor is certainly not conclusive.

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

duckduck84":3nggdkj5 said:
Bgoodman30":3nggdkj5 said:
duckduck84":3nggdkj5 said:
Bgoodman30 said:

It’s on Facebook..

No doubt. I don't believe I would eat it either. What part of the state are you in? I have some extra I'd be happy to give y'all.

Middle TN. I️ really appreciate it but it looks like a doe is in my near future!

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

cbdunn21":3esoysu0 said:
Sorry for the long post, but I have several different experiences that may be helpful. Please remember that this is based only on my personal experiences and opinions and should not be read as fact.

I shot a buck at Fort Campbell last year in mid December that had a brain abscess. The first time I saw him, he was walking by at a steady pace about 80 yards away, and I just wasn't 100% sure he was a shooter. The next day, I saw glimpses of him again as he was trotting by in a thicket, but couldn't have shot even if I was sure. A week later, I saw him again chasing some does and finally pulled the trigger. The point is that he never acted strange or affected at all, but when I got to him, he had some battle scars on his head and neck, the base of an antler was seeping some nasty green stuff, and his head was swollen. He was also relatively lean, but I guess that's to be expected with bucks in December. I spoke with the game warden, the staff at the check station, and did some online research before coming to my own conclusions. In my case, I decided that the meat was safe to eat (a key point here is that the deer appeared and acted completely normal). Cranial abscesses appear to be somewhat common results from fighting and other aggressive behaviors. Some deer can survive cranial abscesses, but once the infection crosses the skull plate, it becomes a brain abscess which is supposedly always fatal. I am not sure if the deer I shot would have lived or died, or if the meat would have ever become unsafe, but we have eaten much if not all of that deer and have not had any issues.

Many years before that experience, we came upon a buck with a brain abscess on public land at the end of December. The buck had already shed both antlers, was noticeably disoriented, did not seem to be afraid, and had atrophied very significantly. It was obvious that this deer was nearly dead. With proper authorization, the deer was put out of its misery. It was completely obvious that this deer was not safe to eat.

On another occasion that is somewhat related, I shot a doe at Fort Campbell a long time ago that had a hairless spot on her back above her rear quarters that looked like a healed wound. I saw her drop and very soon started to field dress her. When I made my first cut at the base of her ribs, a green liquid literally sprayed out. She looked healthy (aside from being dead), had no other open wounds, and the meat appeared and smelled fine at first glance so I finished field dressing her. We took that particular doe to a meat processor that we had used on and off for a long time. When he started to process it several days later, he called us and told us the meat was no good. That is the only time in my life I have had that happen. I talked to a biologist that said the wound could have come from a fence or an errant shot and resulted in an infection. He went on to say that that just like in humans, some infections are worse than others. He said that if the infection had spread through her body and she was unable to fight it off, it could have possibly made the meat unsafe, but would certainly have caused it to degrade much faster once the deer was dead.

All of these deer had infections, but one was apparently fine, while the others were not. The good news is that the condition of the meat seems to be fairly apparent. The first deer was fine, the second was very obviously bad, and the third was noticeably bad to the butcher once he started working on her. Also, in my limited experience with bad meat, the smell, color, and texture of the meat are good indicators of the condition of the meat. It is a good sign if no one noticed any weird signs with the meat from your deer while field dressing, processing, or cooking it, but the blindness and condition of the deer you reported sure make it sound like he could have at least had the beginning of a brain abscess. With all that said, I can only imagine the anxiety of your situation after seeing this report and already having a kid with stomach issues. Like others have said, there are a lot of bugs going around so hopefully that is the cause. Regardless of whether it is a regular sickness or if it is from the meat, I hope your son recovers quickly and I'll be sure to pray for him. In the meantime, you might do as I did with the doe and call TWRA to get in touch with a biologist to learn more.

Below are a couple pics of the head of the fort campbell buck I mentioned that show the seeping infection and the swollen head.

Thanks for your concern and informative post! My son even though he is on day 5 is showing signs of feeling better. We took him to pediatrician because I was concerned of the longevity of his symptoms and they said it was common for a child’s first bug.. He’s 1 1/2.

I️ am pretty sure I spotted this deer 3-4 times before and was always pretty elusive and looked mature so I️ had decided that he was good to go. The first time he was moving around the woods edge chasing does back and forth and at a good pace. The 2nd time he came out in the same spot and popped back in the woods. A decent 8 actually ran across right towards him about 10 mins after he disappeared.

The 3rd time I️ saw him in the woods moving along a ridge alone at a slower pace. There where some does that crossed him but he seemed disinterested.. The 4th time he popped right out downwind of me at 6:45 with some does... No chasing just feeding about before I took him at about 30 yards...

My point is he seemed as he was going downhill and I️ imagine the infection was worsening.. Especially with the certain blindness in one eye... I️ just thought he had lost the eye and the G3 in a fight and didn’t think much of it...

I️ plan on getting in touch with TWRA tomorrow...