TWRA on the NitroFire

Wobblyshot1

This was discussed on here way back in January. Maybe the TWRA should have addressed the problems with the nitrofire then. Not sure if they do but I believe Traditions should offer some sort of disclaimer on just where it might be legal during ML season.

AT4Hunter

This was discussed on here way back in January. Maybe the TWRA should have addressed the problems with the nitrofire then. Not sure if they do but I believe Traditions should offer some sort of disclaimer on just where it might be legal during ML season.
They have, their website has a map showing which states have allowed the use and which ones were still undecided. Tennessee has always been undecided on their map.

sun

I don't think that Traditions made a mistake to develop the Nitrofire concept.
They made a commitment for the long run, and states either make the exception or they don't.
If the Fed's want to regulate it then let them.
Some folks will want to use it and some states will change, and others won't.
It's a free country and innovations are made all of the time.
All Traditions and Federal need to do is comply with the laws and lobby states one at a time to make the changes.
There's plenty of sportsmen's groups who are doing the lobbying for them by advocating that the changes be made.

And don't forget that states have every interest to keep selling hunting licenses since they receive Federal Pittman money based in part on how many licensed hunters there are in each state.
The more licenses they issue, then the more Federal money they can get.
That's an incentive to do what it takes to keep people hunting during a time of declining participation nationwide.
The future holds the answers to whether the Nitrofire will end up being a greater success or not.
If more states begin to acknowledge that it's a safer system, that will help women, youth and elderly folks participate in hunting, then there will be changes made by more states.
Give it time, the citizens of each state have the power to control their destiny.
And that includes controlling the Federal government too.
Maybe there will even end up being a Supreme Court case about it someday.
Never say never because you never know.

Last edited:

GMB54

At over $500 each and over $2.00 per shot just for the powder.....its a total joke. You can do the exact same thing with a 45/70 rifle, brass and some wads to seal the powder in the brass. No load of real black or any sub would be an over load.

What a joke and its not even remotely new. Harry Pope and others did it over 120 years ago. Traditions have been bottom of the barrel MLs for years with numerous complaints of terrible customer service. They marketed numerous things as new such as the Berry ML Bullet and sabot they renamed. Acting like it was some kind of innovation even though they had been out for years. CVA even sold a similar sabot called Slick Load.

They act like chromoly is something magically new to MLs when Knight has used it since day 1. They dont even offer 416 SS for any model. Hammerless ML. Well golly gee, Knight had that too way back in 2006 with the Vision. You can still buy one today with a nitride 4140 chromoly barrel for about $250 shipped. Lyman had it with the Mustang also.

The new FiddleStick Nitro thingamabob is a last ditch effort to improve sales from about the worst inline ML vendor you can imagine.

Last edited:

Doskil

It is classified as a firearm that requires a background check because it does not meet the definition of antique.

Most states are right to consider a muzzle loader as simply a gun that loads BOTH propellant and projectile down the bore.

This nitrofire gun is not a muzzle loader.

sun

Folks can knock the company and the rifle all they want.
It's legal for use in 14 states and you can't change that.
A guy on Facebook bought one at Walmart and has posted the following about it since receiving it::

"shoots like a dream. Very tight groups off hand too."

"This shoots and groups!! No hesitation between tigger pull and actually firing. Tigger pull, I would say is maybe 4lbs, has some creep but man this this is nice, shot it 15 times yesterday, no misfire primers anymore."

"Took 2 does tonight at 150 yds" [with] "Federal bore lok"

And he posted a photo of 2 large does that he legally harvested in his state of Oklahoma.
The name of the Facebook group page is "Modern Muzzleloader".
Feel free to join the group and tell the guy in person using your real name how much money that he has wasted and how wrong he is for harvesting does legally in his own state.
Why do folks worry about the hunting laws in states where they don't even live.

sun

Here's a link to the US map showing where the Nitrofire is legal for muzzleloader hunting: --->>> https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/nitrofire/

Here's a velocity chart for the Firesticks:

Traditions_NitroFire_Ballistics.jpg

GMB54

It's legal for use in 14 states and you can't change that.
Why would i want to change it. Not my problem. I can already use a firearm (pistol only) during my ML season if i wish and it will be a hell of a lot less than $2 per shot for the powder...what a joke

Why do folks worry about the hunting laws in states where they don't even live.
You seem to be the only one here worried about anything. It aint legal in Tenn and it aint legal in my state. I dont really care if it is or isnt but trying to call it a MUZZLELOADER is laughable at best. Just like if i took a CVA or Traditions 45/70 break action and fired it the same way...it simply aint no muzzleloader no matter how you spin it. The powder has to be loaded from the breech.

The old paper cartridge Sharps type rifles are not legal either and i simply dont care.

Here's a velocity chart for the Firesticks:

LMFAO, you would hope for that price it would atleast be 30% faster than BH209. I can hit 2100+fps all day long with a 300gr bullet for less money. I can fine tune every single load of powder. Not just 2 options.

sun

Why would i want to change it. Not my problem. I can already use a firearm (pistol only) during my ML season if i wish and it will be a hell of a lot less than $2 per shot for the powder...what a joke

You seem to be the only one here worried about anything. It aint legal in Tenn and it aint legal in my state. I dont really care if it is or isnt but trying to call it a MUZZLELOADER is laughable at best. Just like if i took a CVA or Traditions 45/70 break action and fired it the same way...it simply aint no muzzleloader no matter how you spin it. The powder has to be loaded from the breech.
You're the one criticizing that it's being classified as a muzzle loader in 14 states, actually 15 counting Mississippi which allows single shot centerfires.
That's 14 more stares and 82 million more people than can use a .45-70 during ML season.

The gun, 888 powder and Firesticks were a coordinated effort by at least 4 companies to market new products, not only one.
But you seem to only criticize one company.
And Traditions doesn't even build guns, they only import them.
If you had designed the Nitrofire system then maybe you would be considered to be genius.
But some folks seem to hate it when other people or companies have successful ideas that become reality.

The CVA Electra wasn't legal in many states at first, and many states don't allow smokeless muzzle loaders during muzzle loading season either.
Does that mean that they're not muzzle loaders?
It all depends on who you ask.

Last edited:

GMB54

Try again, Traditions IS Ardesa. Same company.
The CVA Electra wasn't legal in many states at first, and many states don't allow smokeless muzzle loaders during muzzle loading season either.

Not sure how that even remotely helps your point other than the Electra is long gone and forgotten. Just another straw you are pulling on to no avail. ANY smokeless rated rifle ive seen can use subs or real black. That is pretty obvious.

You have zero clue about what 888 is or is not. No one does atm beside IMR/Hodgdon and Federal. They just acquired Blackhorn209 so for all we know whatever was in the Fiddlestick may be something different soon....Got a SDS on the Fiddlestick?

Calling a rifle a rifle is not criticizing...its simply not a muzzleloader.....Loads powder from the breech so its not. Spin it all you want because its all you got. Lehigh has one too and im fond of Lehigh. I said the same thing to Tom and Dave.....Pull out another straw. Theirs even produces as good or better velocity from the data ive seen using a shorter barrel. Cost per Lehigh "fiddlestick"....about a buck each.

Last edited:

mike243

Who cares what the neighbors do in the privacy of their own home or state? we don't want or need that here, or straight wall cartridge's here in MUZLLOADER season , how many folks need to tell you that?

sun

The point that I was trying to make about the CVA Electra and the smokeless muzzle loaders is that the definition of a muzzle loader or black powder gun is based on a state definition.
It doesn't matter that the Nitrofire is not a muzzle loader in every state.
You know what it is and I know what it is.
It's a type of black powder rifle.
Maybe states don't like breech loaders because the .54 paper cutter Sharps only holds 60 grains of powder.
But that ban on all breech loaders can be changed if a state wants to.
It's a political football, just like some states won't allow sabots, but that's their choice.

Last edited:

Doskil

The point that I was trying to make about the CVA Electra and the smokeless muzzle loaders is that the definition of a muzzle loader or black powder gun is based on a state definition.

Very true.

Latest posts