Twra may 24 carp meeting

bluball

WTM":18bdxlm7 said:
bluball":18bdxlm7 said:
Think ky lake is different than a smaller lake,could be wrong though.You going to the meeting thursday.
WTM":18bdxlm7 said:
questions i would want to know. how much funding is being set aside for the problem and has any thought been given to trying the "unified method" when the fish are in the bays in order to trap and kill them. this method was used successfully in a smaller lake to eradicate them. this is the way the chinese round them up for harvest.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

i should be able to make it. the lake in missouri was 2200 acres, comparable to a few of our bays although the depth of those bays could be problematic. looks like someone could design a sounder on the same freq that makes them go apeshat and herd them into the back of the bays and net them off. the manpower would probably take 50 boats to place the nets.
Whats ky lake,think i heard them say 160,000 acres on the bassmaster site

WTM

TheLBLman":1yfk42nb said:
I ended up not being able to make this (had intended).

Insights into the meeting?

i thought it was tonight at 6:30. oh well. ive got to weed eat 2 acres of hillside before dark. neighbor saw a big rattlesnake next to it today.

bluball

WTM":87bjiax5 said:
TheLBLman":87bjiax5 said:
I ended up not being able to make this (had intended).

Insights into the meeting?

i thought it was tonight at 6:30. oh well. ive got to weed eat 2 acres of hillside before dark. neighbor saw a big rattlesnake next to it today.
Is is tonight aint it

WTM

they have the video up on faceytweets. if you dont do faceytweets you can do a search and still watch some of the video.

my take away:

no money from state or federal agencies.

my thoughts: illinois received $100 million. maybe we need to start electing a whole slew of liberal democrats.(i cant believe i just said that).

little is known about asian carp and how to combat them.

my thoughts: illinois used electric fences made out of 4x6 steel beams injected with 1 volt per inch.(they wanted to use 4 volts per inch but the COE wouldnt let them. they also used commercial fishing to reduce numbers. the boating industry is coming back to the illinois river. in some smaller lakes they have been rounded up using the unified method and removed.

crappie and bass populations: they are on a cyclical downturn reservoir wide and the big sandy has had trouble with repeated failed recruitments more than any other bay. they do not know why.

my thoughts: its just the nature of the beast. fish react to environmental changes and presuure like any other wildlife. i quit fishing big sandy in about 2001. in the 90's it was a fine fishery for white crappie. the reason i quit fishing it was the amount of new fishermen that were increasing there. to the south, eagle creek is another that the white crappie has dwindled over the last several years.

thin crappie and disappearance of shad: they sent some fish off to a lab and they reported that their only conclusion were signs of stress and malnourishment during a brutal winter. the shad were more than likely winter killed. during the spring survey their creel study that the crappie were gaining weight back.

my thoughts: i figured as much. there can be zero consequences from 32 deg water temps and 3 inches of ice for several weeks. like i have posted before, something happened between the fall and early spring to cause it. extreme cold.

the future of KY lake monitor and try to get funding.

my thoughts: TWRA is doing what they can with what they have at hand. the blame needs to rest at the feet of our politicians. $500k for 2 years of funding and hopefully $10 million for 5 years if they get it. so let me get this straight, you politicians dont want to spend money to save a $5 billion dollar industry with most being small businesses that rely on lake and river traffic. give me a break.

i hope im wrong, but i think these weak spawn years will continue maybe not because of the silver carp but from environmental conditions. if the long range climatologists are correct we will see more cooler temps and harder winters in the years to come.

as far as asian carp, if what frank fiss says is true and the 3 year old carp in the lake spawn, we may be headed for a population explosion.

Latest posts