Twra land on Aetna mtn for sale?

Hunter0678

I heard twra is selling the wma land on aetna mtn in marion county. the last big section of private land was sold to thunder thorton for another mtn top housing development, is it true and is twra going to replace the land lost?

Hunter0678

Carlos

Yes, TWRA can kiss my ass. this is our land and now they are going to sell it for housing development

I agree. This is likely to be a slippery slope, because there's a ton of WMA land that's worth BIG BUCKS in TN.

Similar to what's happening in politics with mask mandates, and vaccine requirements.....what's to stop the Agency from selling off land across the state, if we let them get away with this?!

Hymie3

I grew up hunting and riding dirt bikes on Aetna. Haven't been up there in years due to the harassment and troubles. It's a shame. I have some great memories from that mountain. Ive seen old stills, stolen old cars off ravines, cemeteries ect. Those wealthy lookout mountain boys know how to work the system and make lots more money...

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I agree. This is likely to be a slippery slope, because there's a ton of WMA land that's worth BIG BUCKS in TN.

Similar to what's happening in politics with mask mandates, and vaccine requirements.....what's to stop the Agency from selling off land across the state, if we let them get away with this?!

While I can sympathize with TWRA doing this sort of thing with very small properties around which development renders hunting with firearms practically impossible, that doesn't seem to be the case here. Cummings Cove looks like a huge property with lots of varied terrain.

With as much money as that sale would generate, they ought to buy 3 properties to replace it, if they go through with it.

Hunter0678

I hope this link works, its for the Marion county commission meeting where this sale was discussed and former wildlife officers Mike Bailey spoke in regards to the property and he spoke very well. I wasnt able to attend the meeting but I wish I could have. Folks, were running out of land to enjoy our outdoors and sports we love on. Which WMA is next, is your hunting lease safe, ours wasnt and went to the highest bidder for houses. This has got to stop. Im sorry this is a fabebook link but thats about the only place you'll see much these days, Fast forward to about 1 hour and 17:00 for the discussion.

scn

I suspect this is just like hundreds of thousands of other acres of land that TWRA manages, but is owned by another agency. If and when the other agency decides to go in another direction, TWRA has no say in the issue. It looks like the owner may be the US Forest Service and managed by TWRA like the North and South Cherokee WMA units.

I saw someone griping about TWRA allowing timber harvests on Chuck Swann last week. It is another example of another owner. Chuck Swann is a state forest owned by the state Dept. of Forestry. They have the ability to set timber harvests as they choose. TWRA manages for wildlife under a MOU.

RS

I believe TWRA does own the land, but the property was bought through U.S. Forest Service Forestry Legacy Program funding...which has strict guidelines for use. TWRA has indicated they are having a very hard time controlling ORV trespass, which is not compatible for property bought with Forest Legacy money. The plan is to sell the property and buy additional land that is easier to control.

If this link works, go to page 3

MickThompson

Thank you. That may be the case. The off road folks have trashed that area from the beginning of the WMA. I'm not surprised at all with the agency wanting to go in another direction.
Also the retired officer specifically referenced a locked gate on the county road that restricts access- basically turning a wma into an area that's only accessible if you have an adjacent lease to come off of for access.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Also the retired officer specifically referenced a locked gate on the county road that restricts access- basically turning a wma into an area that's only accessible if you have an adjacent lease to come off of for access.

I never understood how people have the right to do that on a public road. Sure you can park and walk in, but depending on where the gate is, it could practically eliminate access, altogether.

Buzzard Breath

I had a few minutes to look some of this up. If anyone is interested, it's Tax Map 150, Parcel 014.11 of Marion County. It looks like there isn't a public roadway that connects to the WMA. It's accessed through Tax Map 146, Parcel 001.00 which is owned by Thunder Air, who just recently purchased the property for $10,750,000, recorded in Book/Page 549/321. The gated access was probably part of the deal for the purchase because they didn't want the liability or were tired of the ATV's being there. Basically, there is no longer public access to the parcel.

Latest posts