TWRA Chief Hopes Acoustic Barriers May Halt Asian Carp

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Hope they figure out a way to stop them for sure.
I still haven't snagged, cooked and ate one yet.
Still want to try it.

Love that last line, they HOPE it will be at least 3 years before a license increase.

Not real sure what that has to do with carp but great to know they are already looking at increasing the fee.
I apologize, my jerk filter ain't working today.

bluball

rsimms":gy0uf7cz said:
The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is working hard to keep Asian carp from continuing their march up the Tennessee River. Frank Fiss, TWRA Fisheries chief, presented an update on Asian carp at the most recent gathering of the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Here's the story: http://newschannel9.com/sports/outdoors ... asian-carp
They need to get a processing plant and work with the commercial fisherman like ky is doing.There everywhere from the 79 bridge at Paris landing to the 412 bridge on ky lake,that's the area of the lake I'm on.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

rsimms

RUGER":kzntk8kv said:
Still want to try it.
Love that last line, they HOPE it will be at least 3 years before a license increase.
Not real sure what that has to do with carp but great to know they are already looking at increasing the fee.

For the record, it's not fair to say they are "looking" at increasing license fees. That info only came because I asked for it specifically and I had to press pretty hard to get an answer. Ken had a very solid explanation of why it really is a moving target. They certainly never want to increase license fees.

rsimms

bluball":17szumwk said:
rsimms":17szumwk said:
The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is working hard to keep Asian carp from continuing their march up the Tennessee River. Frank Fiss, TWRA Fisheries chief, presented an update on Asian carp at the most recent gathering of the Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission.

They need to get a processing plant and work with the commercial fisherman like ky is doing.There everywhere from the 79 bridge at Paris landing to the 412 bridge on ky lake,that's the area of the lake I'm on.

That's been part of the process. Fiss said they have been approached by a few groups who wanted to do that but for one reason or another, they have all pulled out or failed to follow through. TWRA did provide one small grant to a West Tennessee county industrial group to try and attract such a plant. He says, however, it is really difficult to create a business model to build a processing plant AND pay commercial fishermen enough to encourage them to actually fish for Asian carp and the entire enterprise still be profitable. TWRA works closely with Kentucky on this effort. I'm sure they're aware of whatever has been done there.

bluball

rsimms":2ozftvdl said:
bluball":2ozftvdl said:
rsimms":2ozftvdl said:

That's been part of the process. Fiss said they have been approached by a few groups who wanted to do that but for one reason or another, they have all pulled out or failed to follow through. TWRA did provide one small grant to a West Tennessee county industrial group to try and attract such a plant. He says, however, it is really difficult to create a business model to build a processing plant AND pay commercial fishermen enough to encourage them to actually fish for Asian carp and the entire enterprise still be profitable. TWRA works closely with Kentucky on this effort. I'm sure they're aware of whatever has been done there.
Yep,I believe ky is ahead of tn in trying to deal with the problem.Ive heard they have even put in a couple of ice machines for the commercial fisherman to use.Thats another problem from what I hear,they spoil faster than other fish.

rsimms

bluball":awh8p33e said:
Yep,I believe ky is ahead of tn in trying to deal with the problem.Ive heard they have even put in a couple of ice machines for the commercial fisherman to use.Thats another problem from what I hear,they spoil faster than other fish.

Yep, that's my understanding as well. The processing plants have to be located relatively close to the source of the fish because they can't be effectively or safely shipped long distances like most other species.

bluball

RUGER":14bulr7r said:
Still want to try it.

Do you see many,there solid on the surface in some creeks during the summer.I have caught a couple also and ate some one time,pretty tasty.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
rsimms":2ivngane said:
RUGER":2ivngane said:
Still want to try it.

For the record, it's not fair to say they are "looking" at increasing license fees. That info only came because I asked for it specifically and I had to press pretty hard to get an answer. Ken had a very solid explanation of why it really is a moving target. They certainly never want to increase license fees.

I apologize, I mis-quoted the article. Bad wording on my part.

"TWRA Asst. Director Ken Tarkington said there was a total of $1.9 million dollars in budget expansions from outside sources. Tarkington said he believes it will be at least three years, hopefully more, before TWRA officials might have to consider hunting & fishing license increase."

My bad.

Latest posts