• Help Support TNDeer:

TWRA 20-21 Hunting & Trapping Guide

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Thank you Andy

Found this interesting:

1. Tag Before You Drag - new requirement this year! Before moving your harvested big game, you
must either check it in on your smartphone or physically tag the animal. All physically tagged
animals must be checked in before midnight. See page 25

LanceS4803

Really good synopsis of changes for this year:

https://www.wvlt.tv/2020/07/09/new-...ce-for-2020-2021-hunting-and-fishing-seasons/

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) - The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency released 2020-2021 hunting and fishing guides.

TWRA says there are several new and important changes to the guides to be aware of. According to the Tennessee Hunting and Fishing Guide website, the following new rules and regulations are in place:

Tag Before You Drag: A new requirement says hunters must check-in their big game on their smartphone or physically tag the animal before moving it. Physically tagged animals must be checked in before midnight.
The statewide bag limit for spring turkey has been reduced from four to three.
Five counties adjacent to the Mississippi River form a new spring turkey unit (Mississippi Alluvial Valley or MAV) with a two-week delayed spring turkey season opener and a reduced, unit-wide bag limit of 2.
Southern Middle Tennessee counties of Giles, Lawrence, Lincoln and Wayne Counties have a two-week delayed spring turkey season opener.
The fall turkey season has been closed in Lincoln County.
Hunting dates have changed in Bear Hunt Zones 1, 2, and 3.
Incidental take of one either-sex elk by licensed deer hunters in non-elk restoration counties is allowed. This is only allowed outside of Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Morgan and Scott Counties.
The definition for legal trapping devices has changed.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, hand-held drawing procedures for issuing season-long waterfowl blind permits and sandhill crane tags may differ than described in this guide. Go to www.tnwildlife.org for updated information.
Crow season has changed.
New Veterans and Active Military personnel waterfowl hunting days have been added.
The deer hunting unit “Unit CWD” has expanded to include Lauderdale, Gibson and Crockett Counties.
Unit CWD hunters will be able to use archery, muzzleloader or guns during three-day August hunt.
Unit CWD hunters can now earn an unlimited number of antlered deer. See “Earn-A-Buck Program”.
In Unit CWD, gun season (G/M/A) will begin Saturday, Nov. 7 when the rest of the state begins muzzleloader season (M/A).
New regulations for the Mississippi River Flood Closure Zone for big game hunts. Only the Caruthersville gauge is used, and the zone has been reduced in Lake and Dyer counties to include only those lands east of Hwy.

eddie c

FLTENNHUNTER1":326wpj24 said:
Thank you Andy

Found this interesting:

1. Tag Before You Drag - new requirement this year! Before moving your harvested big game, you
must either check it in on your smartphone or physically tag the animal. All physically tagged
animals must be checked in before midnight. See page 25
This was going on during turkey season. One conversation I heard was from a man that supposed to have asked a TWRA officer.
if I don't have a smart phone, how do I tag it?
Go to a check in station.
Will I get in trouble if I don't have a tag before I get to the check station?
Probably.
How do I get my first tag?
Take your first kill to a check station.

Harold Money jr

You get your tags at a license agent or print off online, have em on you BEFORE you kill something. If you have good service on your smartphone you won’t need a tag, just check it in before you drag it out. If your not up to checking em out online then you might want to have a friend or family member check it in when you call them before dragging.

Antler Daddy

Supporter
I thought all you needed was TWRA app and a charged phone. It was m understanding that ap would generate a kill tag on your phone that would then upload when you had service.

Bone Collector

Supporter
Incidental take of one either-sex elk by licensed deer hunters in non-elk restoration counties is allowed.
This is only allowed outside of Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Morgan and Scott Counties.

How and where is this allowed? as in what counties? I didn't think they lived outside these counties....

Also what does "incidental" imply? That you couldn't tell that was not a deer you were shooting at???

eddie c

Harold Money jr":uyb6tx6y said:
You get your tags at a license agent or print off online, have em on you BEFORE you kill something. If you have good service on your smartphone you won’t need a tag, just check it in before you drag it out. If your not up to checking em out online then you might want to have a friend or family member check it in when you call them before dragging.
I got a lifetime license, no tags come with it, plus since I retired the ink in my printer has dried up. :rotf: if they can't wait until I get in cell service, oh well. :mrgreen:

Andy S.

Antler Daddy":3lty94d7 said:
I thought all you needed was TWRA app and a charged phone. It was m understanding that ap would generate a kill tag on your phone that would then upload when you had service.
Correct. If you do not have smart phone with app, login to the link below and click "transportation tags" on upper right hand side. Print them, put them in your wallet and you are good to go until you reach check station or check in online by midnight the day of kill. Transportation tags have your TWRA number printed on them. These options were available during 2020 spring turkey season as well.

https://license.gooutdoorstennessee.com ... okup.aspx#

Tag Before You Drag details at this link: https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/tag-bef ... -drag.html

MUP

Supporter
Bone Collector":339g2xbr said:
Incidental take of one either-sex elk by licensed deer hunters in non-elk restoration counties is allowed.
This is only allowed outside of Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Morgan and Scott Counties.

How and where is this allowed? as in what counties? I didn't think they lived outside these counties....

Also what does "incidental" imply? That you couldn't tell that was not a deer you were shooting at???

I just asked in the twra forum and yes indeed, if you have an elk, on private property, outside of the counties and parks mentioned, you can legally shoot it if your a legally licensed hunter! I doubt any will survive to make it down my way, but that would be an awsesome hunt for sure! :party:

Bone Collector

Supporter
Re: TWRA 20-21 Hunting & Trapping Guide

MUP":3re7ds4s said:
Bone Collector":3re7ds4s said:

I just asked in the twra forum and yes indeed, if you have an elk, on private property, outside of the counties and parks mentioned, you can legally shoot it if your a legally licensed hunter! I doubt any will survive to make it down my way, but that would be an awsesome hunt for sure! :party:
According to SCN it’s public land too with exception of the state parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUP

Supporter
Wouldn't that be fantastic?! To see an elk wandering thru while you were deer hunting?! Might want to upgrade those .243's just in case, to a 300 WinMag maybe! :)

Latest posts