Turning 65

triple threat

Lord willing, I will turn 65 in March of this year. Do I have any special options in purchasing a hunting license? I'm a resident and normally get a Sportsman License. I did see a Lifetime License for $339, I think.

TAFKAP

I would recommend the Lifetime Sportsman at that point. The senior license that's available still requires separate fees and applications for WMA's, so it may be more hassle than its low price would indicate.

Safari Hunt

I have the permanent senior license- 166. I buy the supplemental license, 167, to cover just about everything except waterfowl and the Gatlinburg trout permit. At your age, I would buy the 409 license. I should have done that years ago. It would have paid for itself in 7 years.

KPH

I went with the senior and just buy the supplement 167. I feggered on how many more years I will hunt and it made sense to me.

RobDooley

I plan on buying the Permanent Senior Citizen License (166) wherein it states no supplemental licenses are required. Of course if you hunt WMA's and apply for quota hunts you may want to buy the 167. instead. And the 167 would have to purchased annually. Otherwise, why would you purchase both? What am I missing.

scn

I plan on buying the Permanent Senior Citizen License (166) wherein it states no supplemental licenses are required. Of course if you hunt WMA's and apply for quota hunts you may want to buy the 167. instead. And the 167 would have to purchased annually. Otherwise, why would you purchase both? What am I missing.
The type 166 license will NOT allow you to take antlerless deer during the statewide gun season. That will require either a type 94 permit, or the Type 167.

scn

OK, thanks. But why not just buy the 167 every year. Necessary to actually buy both?
There is no reason to buy both. The 166 is a one time purchase that covers all LICENSES, including the supplemental licenses. But, it doesn't cover any PERMITS. If you don't want/need the permits, the 166 will cover you to hunt, fish, and trap.

Latest posts