Turkey Survey from TWRA

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I received a survey from TWRA about my opinions on the turkey season and opportunities and such. It had one interesting question.
"Would you be supportive of the Spring Youth Sportsman Hunt being opened to novice hunters (i.e., first time license holders or Apprentice License holders) of any age?"

I put I would not be supportive. I am a big believer that youth seasons are for the youth. I just thought it was an interesting question and I'm waiting to see what TWRA changes on youth seasons now.

Attachments

• B691D95C-8778-4732-A122-512106F8ED58.jpeg
    B691D95C-8778-4732-A122-512106F8ED58.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 40

mike243

Well the answer is they get a chance before all the grownups get out and educate the Turkeys, I agree with that and I am for letting the kids go and hunt as often as they want to not just on their days, I wish the Deer juvy hunt was before all the robin hoods got out and change the deer patterns but that won't ever happen because they feel they should be able to hunt during the youth hunts, they already get a month longer season than gun hunters and a lot more liberal doe harvest . Why?

deerfever

My son asked " why do we even have a spring youth turkey hunt. If you want your kids to hunt take them with you and let them shoot instead of you". I didn't have a answer for him.
Yep, very simple if you have private land. The youth only designation helps with people who have to take their kid on public land to hopefully have a good experience. Last year I never seen so many people on public land in over 40 years of turkey hunting. I took my son on the juvenile to a WMA that he killed his first turkey at age 7 . We left at lunch there were so many people, especially out of state hunters were heavy last year at this place. I couldn't imagine if adults had been allowed to hunt also that weekend, you talk about an unsafe disaster. He goes with me whenever he wants but we do enjoy the youth hunt. Been doing it since he was 6. Just makes things safer for all involved and a much better experience for those younger ones on their first hunt. But for sure youth hunts should stay for the designated 6 to 16 age limit as far as the survey goes.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
VA has this type of setup for deer, bear and turkey seasons. During youth weekend, apprentice hunting license can hunt also. I've seen a lot of women taking advantage of this with husbands/BF got them into hunting. I've not seen a huge amount of adults hunting during those weekends. VA allows the apprentice to hunt for 1 year under this license then back to the normal type of hunting.

mike243

Back in the 80's we had a few women only hunts at wma's , had a lot of crying about it so they stopped them.

Laserman1

Well the answer is they get a chance before all the grownups get out and educate the Turkeys, I agree with that and I am for letting the kids go and hunt as often as they want to not just on their days, I wish the Deer juvy hunt was before all the robin hoods got out and change the deer patterns but that won't ever happen because they feel they should be able to hunt during the youth hunts, they already get a month longer season than gun hunters and a lot more liberal doe harvest . Why?
I don't think the bow hunters change the pattern any more than the youth getting first crack at the deer with guns before
muzzleloader season opens up. My son is now grown but enjoyed the youth hunts. I think it's funny when I see a pic of 6 yr old little Johnny shooting a big tom with a 12 gauge and he can't even hold the gun up by hisself.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I just want to know why TWRA can't send out these "surveys" to all license holders. They have plenty of emails to send them to so why not have a larger "survey group". They have done this in the past with these "selective" surveys.
The cover sheet just told me because I have checked in a turkey in the last 5 years I was eligible to be selected.

Gravey

I just want to know why TWRA can't send out these "surveys" to all license holders. They have plenty of emails to send them to so why not have a larger "survey group". They have done this in the past with these "selective" surveys.
EXACTLY! I've had a lifetime license since 2010 and have never received any type of survey from TWRA. I have hunted out of state a couple of times and get stuff from those states.

Edit to add leave the youth weekend for the youth.

Last edited:

Huntaholic

Ive killed more turkeys than avian flu and Ive yet to get asked to do a survey. "Checked a turkey in the last 5 years" thats bullshit. Ive checked in the limit every year for the last 25 years at least and I still havent got a survey.

Rakkin6

I have bought. Sportsman's license every year until I became a 100% disabled veteran and got my lifetime DAV license. I have never received a survey from TWRA and I am from Morgan County, Tennessee the Army didn't bring me here..

Rakkin6

If I could make a suggestion it would be to limit non-resident turkey tags being first come first serve or do a lottery drawing. Not sure what the exact number of non residents are but cut it by 2/3 and call if good. If they are worried about revenue then the lottery would be the way to go.

deerhunter10

No. Youth us for the youth leave it that way. Same goes for deer. Hard knocks for novice hunters is the best way anyone can learn. Especially turkey hunting. As said above I sure would like a survey. Been buying a sportsman's license for years and tagged in birds every year for years as well.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Word of warning... be VERY careful how you answer any question from tdub.

Hate to see turkey hunters become cry babies like duck hunters did.

Bone Collector

My son asked " why do we even have a spring youth turkey hunt. If you want your kids to hunt take them with you and let them shoot instead of you". I didn't have a answer for him.
I agree with his sentiments, but it is designed to give them first crack at them.

I would disagree with the question in the survey that it should be for anyone who has never hunted regardless of age.

Latest posts