Turkey Season

Setterman

In the areas you've experienced this horrendous season, do you think it would have been much different if the season had opened any sooner?
No clue, sort of doubt it if I had to guess. Something is going on, and it's probably less overall mature birds having more hens is my guess. Hunting the true mountains is an entirely different dynamic than the remainder of the state. Whatever the case it's not been a great experience this year.

ImThere

I think it will help on a couple of fronts.
People hate hunting the green up.
Places where the only gobbler would normally be dead before some breeding may have a chance to breed. Areas with good numbers may not notice a thing.
I think it will send the YouTubers elsewhere. If the have better chances elsewhere. Helping further reduce public land pressure

Gravey

I've always had better success from mid April on so the delayed start didn't bother me. It did effectively cut me from 6 potential weekends to 4 just because I'm not hunting them when it's pushing 90 degrees. Just not that mad at 'em like that anymore. I hunted 4 times and heard birds on 2. I killed one bird on Mothers Day in the afternoon. He never gobbled but was spittin' & drummin'. Wife and I are in the Smokies and got out of the truck yesterday at Rainbow Falls trailhead to hike Mt. LeConte and there was a bird gobbling his fool head off. He wasn't far at all but never saw him. Did see 3 lone longbeards on the side of the road while driving there.

CHRIS WILSON

I've always had better success from mid April on so the delayed start didn't bother me. It did effectively cut me from 6 potential weekends to 4 just because I'm not hunting them when it's pushing 90 degrees. Just not that mad at 'em like that anymore. I hunted 4 times and heard birds on 2. I killed one bird on Mothers Day in the afternoon. He never gobbled but was spittin' & drummin'. Wife and I are in the Smokies and got out of the truck yesterday at Rainbow Falls trailhead to hike Mt. LeConte and there was a bird gobbling his fool head off. He wasn't far at all but never saw him. Did see 3 lone longbeards on the side of the road while driving there.
Even though I have one tag left, I called my season over last weekend. Family and time constraints mainly but it also feels odd chasing birds this late into May. Even with the season pushed back, I've had a good season and can't complain.

Latest posts