Turkey season

deerfever

Guys, Ive been hunting these things longer than some of you have been alive. Cutting the limit back was about the most "do nothing" maneuver TWRA could have done. If they really want to conserve birds, change the opening day! Make it open 2 weeks later and leave the limit alone. Something like 6% of licensed hunters actually kill the limit every year, give those mature birds a chance to get the hens all bred before opening the gate to kill them. Its just that simple.
Said I was not gonna say anything but I can't stand it. What biological proof do you have that opening the season two weeks later does any good? Arkansas should be flooded with turkeys if that's the case and so should LBL but why aren't they? They been doing it for years? Why did Missouri drop 25,000 birds they been opening later for years? It's the old Chamberlain theory in full effect. I hope this guy is getting his projects funded for years to come because there sure are a lot of people buying what he is selling even though none of it's proven. TN may be the the state to prove it as once again I will point out they opened counties two weeks later and dropped the limit to study that and see if it increases poult production before switching the whole state on an unproven theory. I appreciate the fact that they want to see if the theory is true before just going to it. If you want to protect mature gobblers ban Strutter decoys and fans. A guy I know recently showed me a video of his son's juvenile hunt with his friend. They both killed each day. Yep strutter decoy in full effect , In a blind and here is the top absolutely no calling! The gobbler just attacked the thing. Then you have people say that they don't work? Start the juvenile the first weekend in April and the season the next one but if you want to protect mature gobblers if it's true they are the only ones to breed. Decoys need to go also!

Huntaholic

Said I was not gonna say anything but I can't stand it. What biological proof do you have that opening the season two weeks later does any good? Arkansas should be flooded with turkeys if that's the case and so should LBL but why aren't they? They been doing it for years? Why did Missouri drop 25,000 birds they been opening later for years? It's the old Chamberlain theory in full effect. I hope this guy is getting his projects funded for years to come because there sure are a lot of people buying what he is selling even though none of it's proven. TN may be the the state to prove it as once again I will point out they opened counties two weeks later and dropped the limit to study that and see if it increases poult production before switching the whole state on an unproven theory. I appreciate the fact that they want to see if the theory is true before just going to it. If you want to protect mature gobblers ban Strutter decoys and fans. A guy I know recently showed me a video of his son's juvenile hunt with his friend. They both killed each day. Yep strutter decoy in full effect , In a blind and here is the top absolutely no calling! The gobbler just attacked the thing. Then you have people say that they don't work? Start the juvenile the first weekend in April and the season the next one but if you want to protect mature gobblers if it's true they are the only ones to breed. Decoys need to go also!
I have NONE, absolutely ZERO proof, Im not a biologist, Im a logger. With that said, Ive got as much proof as you do or as those agencies in other states do! To date Ive never used a strutter decoy and Ive never fanned or reaped a bird, just not my style. You cant argue that it doesn't work though, theres too many googans out there with video to prove that it does. Which in fact adds credibility to my thoughts on opening 2 weeks later to give them time to breed the hens.

deerfever

I have NONE, absolutely ZERO proof, Im not a biologist, Im a logger. With that said, Ive got as much proof as you do or as those agencies in other states do! To date Ive never used a strutter decoy and Ive never fanned or reaped a bird, just not my style. You cant argue that it doesn't work though, theres too many googans out there with video to prove that it does. Which in fact adds credibility to my thoughts on opening 2 weeks later to give them time to breed the hens.
I really don't think we are far apart. All I am saying is why not let them see if the two week start dates helps with poult production before moving the whole State?TN has it set up to see if it helps. If they see it helps and hens have more poults then it will be an easy sale for everyone. I seen hens nesting here the first week of April. Again if it helps I am for it, if you want to do a compromise and go ahead and move it back a week to meet in the middle. I have 0 issues with that. If it's about saving the dominant bird, ban decoys and fans. Those birds are almost non killable without them. What you have are two groups of people that see it totally different ways. I do believe compromise will have to come in to play or if TWRA finds out that something can be done to help from their study, do not compromise just make it policy!

Johnathon

I haven't read anyone post that they don't think some areas are doing fine or better than the past. I have read lots of posts saying it's worse where they hunt and it's widespread...not universal. I can only speak of my own area. I have heard a roost gobble once this spring. I am not a one time in the woods hunter plus I live where I hunt. All I have to do is walk outside to be able to listen to them. I drive to other properties I have permission to hunt and I drive past pastures and fields that used to have birds in them "all the time". Universally there are practically no birds anywhere on any of these farms. Just a few short years ago I had hundreds of turkeys I would see all spring. I have laid eyes on two toms and four hens since the season opened. Most guys were not able to see the reality of the decline...they still went out and killed their birds. What they were doing was killing the same number of birds from a smaller and smaller pool of available toms till now "there ain't no birds anymore, what happened?". Why aren't the turkeys able to produce as many poults is the question.
Has anyone heard much about the chicken litter from the chicken houses that's being spread on these fields and pastures being toxic to turkeys? I've heard rumors that it could be a huge factor in the population decline but there is some big money players trying to discredit this having any impact. Seems no one is talking about this

THE DUKE

Haven't heard about the chicken thing but have heard about the chemicals farmers spray on hay fields, but I'm not sure I buy that because farmers have been spraying for years unless there's a new chemical they have added. As far as the twra issue you don't put air in a rated 65psi tire when it's @ 5psi you put it in @ 50psi. Long story short there interest in the matter is about 5yrs late.