Turkey Hunting with 2 Boys

UTGrad

I am carrying my 14 and 12 year old boys this season and would like to do more of a run and gun style vs sitting in a pop up blind.

I plan on calling and having the boys face opposite directions at a good base of a tree.

Is being together as a group of 3 too much exposure or has anyone else had any success hunting as a group of 3?

chrmayo

1644984233618.jpeg

Believe this is the one I used with him.

bvoss55

I have two boys that go with me about every time I hunt unless its before work during the weekdays. 11 and 9 years old now and . We got out of the blind for good year before last and only use it if its raining now. We have blown several hunts for sure but its all part of learning. Both them learning and me learning how to be a guide rather than a solo hunter. The hunts where we have killed birds have been way more action packed than sitting in a blind all day. I try to find a set up with a big blow down or big trees we can get our backs against. I too try to have them facing two different directions to some degree. One facing 10 and 2 or something along those lines. The stick up blinds are handy to help hide squirmy feet, etc. I also have some mesh tree stand netting that I will keep in my vest. I pull it out and throw it over our feet when I can if we are sitting all together.

One of the things I've messed up on a few times is having them sitting too low. A bird will come in and I can see it fine to kill it but they were too low to be able to get on him. Had that happen a few times. May try a turkey seat so they are sitting up a little higher this year. If you dont have one for them, may be a good option.

UTGrad

I have two boys that go with me about every time I hunt unless its before work during the weekdays. 11 and 9 years old now and . We got out of the blind for good year before last and only use it if its raining now. We have blown several hunts for sure but its all part of learning. Both them learning and me learning how to be a guide rather than a solo hunter. The hunts where we have killed birds have been way more action packed than sitting in a blind all day. I try to find a set up with a big blow down or big trees we can get our backs against. I too try to have them facing two different directions to some degree. One facing 10 and 2 or something along those lines. The stick up blinds are handy to help hide squirmy feet, etc. I also have some mesh tree stand netting that I will keep in my vest. I pull it out and throw it over our feet when I can if we are sitting all together.

One of the things I've messed up on a few times is having them sitting too low. A bird will come in and I can see it fine to kill it but they were too low to be able to get on him. Had that happen a few times. May try a turkey seat so they are sitting up a little higher this year. If you dont have one for them, may be a good option.

Great information thank you! Yep sitting in the blind got boring for them for sure. They will be on the guns this year I just want to call.

REN

Ive taken 2 boys with me a few times each year. FOR me the only real change I made vs me solo or just taking my son was moving a bit slower from position A to B, as well as taking more time and focus on the actual set up. Meaning I spend a bit more time to make sure I find a comfortable stop for both to sit, ideally around a tree big enough to cover them and still allow me to sit in a way I can hear them and talk to them.

I like to sit in a way I can see the bird first so I can communicate with them quickly to get ready and stay still (that can just be me on my knees behind the tree they are on for an example). I really just try to make sure the set up has the least amount of challenges (like ground foliage, limbs etc) so all I really need to worry about is making sure they are not moving and have an unobstructed view of the shooting lane.

Sometimes it works out and other times we get busted, just all part of it. I told my son the past few years as he has gotten more into it that the hunts you learn the most from are the ones you fail on, so make sure you are learning and just not making the same mistakes over and over.

CritterGitter

My dad started taking me when i was in 3rd grade i think . He always sat near behind me so he could tell me to be still if i started moving , it took me finding out the hard way that i was seen , busted , whatever you want to call it to realize and learn , and feel the defeat of being busted. Once that happens a few times you learn the importance to sit still as all get out . Then you're pretty much hooked for life haha . Definitely take them! Make sure they're comfortable when they first sit . Worst is sitting quickly thinking its fine . Then when the hunt gets good you realize wow i should've not sat with my legs bent crazy , or lop sided on a root

Gobble4me757

Not too much but difficult…I learned at even an earlier younger age than 12 to not move a muscle. I've never sat in a turkey blind but once ever as an 8 year old kid on one late am occasion. Teaches them to be better woodsmen etc

Latest posts