Turkey hunting Percy Priest

richwoods

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get on my first turkey this year. Percy is the closest WMA to me. I've seen a few hens, heard one gobble but watched another hunter walk right by me towards him. I backed out at this point. I've been trying all times of the day. Haven't tried a decoy yet because I'm afraid it will get shot. Haha. I've tried all methods of turkey hunting. I've walked right at 15 miles so far. I'll walk another 50 to get my first one.

Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Justin

J-WO

WMA hunting is all about burning boot leather,and it sounds like you're off to a good start. Keep at it and go as often as you can. Eventually you will connect with one.

AT Hiker

Look for sign, the freshest. Set up and start blind calling with no decoy. Do a 2-3 call sequence with yelps, purrs and clucks. Then wait 7-10 minutes, repeat the same sequence. Wait about 3-5 minutes, cut really hard, then revert back to yelping/purring. Always keep an eye out for silent birds.

Do this for 30-45 minutes in each spot. Its an aggressive technique I have used that works sometimes, not often but its better than walking around and bumping birds you dont see.

Look for sign that is on flat ground, like an oak flat or side of a ridge.

I have never hunted Priest but surely you can find these spots.

Good luck

KingMojo

Interesting, that's the closest wma to me as well and planned on trying it out next week.

TNDeerGuy

Priest is hard hunting because it is getting hammered with pressure like I haven't seen in a very long time, from day-users and fellow hunters alike. Be prepared to burn some boot leather and bring a very healthy dose of patience--you will need both.

Gravey

I went out there this morning after my private land stunk it up. Basically went scouting and ended up seeing 2 hunters that never knew I was there. They'd hit a call and then walk a little bit and hit it again. Just shook my head and kept on walking.

Asaltwpn1

Careful where you hunt on Priest. Some crop land is off limits now. Years ago someone got turned around and shot a gobbler that was standing in a ball field. That place gets hunted hard. The islands aren't pressured too bad.

richwoods

Discouraging day today. Ran into three different hunters. One of them was actually gobbling. Changed spots and ran into a homeless camp.

TNDeerGuy

richwoods said:
Discouraging day today. Ran into three different hunters. One of them was actually gobbling. Changed spots and ran into a homeless camp.

That's typical Priest�right down to the homeless camps...the northern side of the lake is littered with them. However, be careful though as many of the "homeless camps" are actually make shift meth labs and somebody could be armed and near. As Gravey stated, gobbling is something you should not ever do on public land and I'm very leary of running and gunning "goofy" sounding gobbles on public land because it is a great way to get shot.

Whatever you do, hang in there and when out with the masses and stay patient.

AT Hiker

TNDeerGuy said:
richwoods said:

That's typical Priest�right down to the homeless camps...the northern side of the lake is littered with them. However, be careful though as many of the "homeless camps" are actually make shift meth labs and somebody could be armed and near. As Gravey stated, gobbling is something you should not ever do on public land and I'm very leary of running and gunning "goofy" sounding gobbles on public land because it is a great way to get shot.

Whatever you do, hang in there and when out with the masses and stay patient.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the "gobble" calls, I was always afraid common sense would be ignored when using them, sadly it appears my fear was correct.

Its almost a consideration to think about limiting their use on smaller public land parcels, dang near a safety concern. I know you cannot fix stupid but we might be able to help the ignorant.

Recoil

Wow, after reading these comments I think not only would I put some miles on my shoe leather, I would put some miles on my truck and find a more rural WMA to hunt!

richwoods

The bad thing about this is everyday I see AT LEAST 3 big toms strutting around my house. I live in a neighborhood in Cane Ridge for yall who are familiar with the area. Deer and Turkeys everywhere.

And the more I think about the homeless camp the more I think it might have been a meth lab.

Bone Collector

Priest is pretty large, and if you hunt the fields or around them it could get crowded, because everyone else does that.

Like someone else said the pressure is a bit higher this year, but what I have learned is by middle to end of April a lot give up and the number of hunters drop, and usually my bird sightings go up, so hang in there and you might just get it done.

Also if you are off during the week, go then.

WMAn

Bone Collector said:
Like someone else said the pressure is a bit higher this year, but what I have learned is by middle to end of April a lot give up and the number of hunters drop, and usually my bird sightings go up, so hang in there and you might just get it done.

How vocal are the birds you see mid to late season? I experience the same drop in hunters, but I find that gobbles can be hard to come by the second half of the season.

Latest posts