Turkey Hunting Deer Tactics?

HuntnMoon

Just wondering, I am relatively new to turkey hunting and I do not hunt the fields I usually find that on public land the fields are overloaded with other hunters and I usually find the birds roosting relatively deep in the woods... This is where I hunt the majority of the time... This year however I have not seen or heard a bird yet in 3 times out and near 20 hours of hunting??? same places I have hunted in the past.. Just wondering if I am looking at turkey hunting the wrong way trying to basically ambush them in the woods, near where I have seen scratchings or where they historically roost?

rem270

My place in Ky you hardly ever get them to come to our grass fields.. They'll roost on us and fly down across the line 90% of the time.

Theres a place in the woods that i could set up at mid day and and probably kill them. But im not a big turkey hunter so never have.

muddyboots

HuntnMoon said:
So the majority of the time I assume you hunt them in the hardwoords not the fields?

Man thats a hard question to answer. Im not being smart A55 but i hunt them where they are. Listen for gobbles, hen sounds, and anything that would clue you in to where they are. I located a gobbler this morning when i heard him flap his wings twice. A turkey is a different animal than a deer. Its hard to just pick a spot and hunt them because i can guarantee if that gobbler is not already wanting to go where you are you cant make him come there.

HuntnMoon

Thats pretty much what im doing. Thanks for the input muddyboots. It sems like alot of guys I talk to set up on fields, was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.Thats my basic sstrategy, get in early move in to woods quietly trying to not spook them off their roost, even though most places i go into blind, then wait to hear gobbling.If that doesne happen then i begint to move and call softly sometime aroun 9:00

Latest posts