Turkey hunters

wgmac

Well i have decided to try turkey hunting, so my wife can have something to complain about (lol). But anyway, I am very new to this and was wondering if there is someone who doesn't have a youngster to take this sat. and is just inching to get out and fine tune there skills. I have a 10yr old who is wanting to go and I'm trying to up his chances of at least seeing a turkey from slim to none. We live in Mt.Juliet and as of right now we are going to try around priest in smyrna. I have a boat and will be trying some of the water access fields. I know The weather is not gonna be great but you can't get anything from the couch either. Thanks in advance. Mac

Southern Sportsman

If you were closer, I would love to take you up on that. I hate that the weather is going to be bad for the juvi, but I would love to get out.

Atchman2

Last year I saw many turkey RIGHT IN MT. JULIET! They were in fields just off the side of the road. Just drive around you'll see them either early or late.

AT Hiker

Man I wish I could help. I know nothing about Priest either, but if you got a boat and a map you should have plenty of areas to check out.

Maybe you could locate a high spot (ridge) and get there by 6am or a little after, then just listen and if you hear any gobbles make your way to them.

Maybe post this in the general forum and someone around the area could help.

wgmac

Thanks for the tip AT. That was kinda my plan. I went out late this morning and was able to get a few to gobble in 4 different spots but they were way in the distance. I was just happy to hear them gobble ( hope it was from my call LOL) Thanks agian. and any other advise is very much appreciated.

AT Hiker

Honestly if you got some located that is where I would head. Surely not many hunters will be on public land for youth weekend, but I could be wrong.

Look at the location on Google Earth where you heard the birds, then see if there is a funnel, oak bottom, oak flat, step ridge, or any major terrain feature. Turkeys in deep woods will seek out early morning feeding grounds that look like they would make great fields (but in the woods they are actually flats).

I would set up in those locations if you cannot figure them out before Saturday. Hunting big woods turkeys is a lot like hunting big woods deer, except thick cover is not ideal for turkeys unless they are really pressured.

Does that make sense?

As far as calling goes, limit it to soft purrs and yelps right now, hard cutting can be used to shock gobble them right now but it can also make them call shy. I wouldnt call much at all until you are sure they are off the roost.

A rule of thumb is...if the hens are talking then you will want to mimmick them, but dont get to aggressive on them.

Its likely a Tom will come in silent too, so if they seemed 'fired" up at first, like they gobble every time you call but all of a sudden are quite then they are likely going to come in silent. If this happens it could take 15 minutes or so, but it could also mean the birds left the area. So use this time to figure out your game plan, dont call but still sit still. Then once you cannot handle it anymore or you are sure they left, then try to cut them off.

wgmac

Thanks agian AT There are alot of fields where i was at, and most of the ones i use are water access only. Hopefully its like deer season and like my own private hunting club.

wgmac

Okay now i am very excited. Got up early and went to scout some more. From 6:30 to 8:30 not a sign or sound. Then on about the 15th field i checked their they were! Must have been 30 turkey and 4 deer, it was awesome. 4 of the turkey were all fluffed up and strut'n. I wanted to hear them gobble so i tryed a little calling, but nothing. Then the deer started coming to me. They came with in 10 yards of me and i could feel my self shaking. After that i tryed calling agian, and nothing. So i figured i would just sneak out of there as not to spook them. As i stood up and backed out i noticed 2 toms i hadn't seen coming strait at me from the corner of the field i wasn't watching. I have never had so much fun in the woods with out a weapon in my hand. So just a couple of questions. Will those turkey more than likely use that same field tomorrow, and do you think they were moving late due to the cloud cover this morning?

AT Hiker

Turkeys move all day, they just seem to hang around one area longer sometimes if they dont have a reason to leave.

They will likely be in the same area tomorrow, as long as you or no one else spooked them. Look at google earth and try to find locations around the field you seen them in, then try to fin a high spot and be there in the morning. Look for "funnels" that may draw them to that field or other areas they might check out after they leave that field.

Like I mentioned before, public land birds and birds in general this time of year seem to come in silent like those did to you. So be ready.

Also be careful about calling to them when you are not hunting them, they can become call shy very quickly.

If I were you I would do exactly what you did this morning, it seemed to work for ya.

Lets us know how it turns out tomorrow. Good luck!

wgmac

Well I would like to thank everyone for their help. I tryed to put all of your advice in action and wow! What a morning. We had 3 gobblers working from 3 different directions. It was pretty awesome and my son was super excited. UNTIL!!! Like i was warned, at 8:30 we had one coming across the field beautifully. Then a guy and his son walked up from one corner of the field and he ran off to the woods. I was pretty upset about the interuption in the hunt but on public land you get that alot. We stayed for about another hour but didn't hear anything more after that. I will have to say that from all of your advise you really helped make my son and I's first turkey hunt far more productive than i thought it was going to be. We didn't bag a turkey, but i am counting it as a sucsess. Once agian Thankyou all very much. I have really been trying to get him out hunting with me more and after sat. morning he can't wait to get back out there.

Latest posts