Turkey Destination

AT Hiker

So,
Im planning some upcoming turkey hunting trip(s). Just curious where everyone else would like to go or dream about going. Not trying to steal your ideas, just trying to avoid where the masses are concentrating :p .
Thankfully Ive already hunted NE/SD Merriams, as the THP and other pimps have recruited a few too many people. Albeit, I will be headed back to SD at some point because I need to scout for deer with PickettSFhunter, might as well get a turk tag and make a trip out of it.

Buzzard Breath

There's a couple New England states I've been looking at. The end at noon policies keep them from being preferred destinations. But, that time would be used for trout fishing. Lots and lots of public land, or huntable land with a simple permit.

Rakkin6

Well you already did the Nebraska Merriam that would be my first choice if was going out of state. I would also look at Ohio and Texas for a Rio Grande. Honestly I have no desire to hunt in Florida for an Osceola. They are beautiful but trudging through the swamp with the bugs and snakes does nothing for me. Could care less about completing the Grand Slam I would rather enjoy the hunt.

th88

In all seriousness, focus on a state that the YouTubers haven't hit yet. I now plan my springs around where they hunted the previous spring. Last spring I hunted two "untouched" states in the far east and had awesome hunts. First time in either state. The best part about one of the states was only seeing 2 other hunters in 3 days of hunting. That is becoming a rarity! I'd much rather hunt a place with a few birds and few people than a place that holds more birds but is covered up with people. And you seem to already know any state the YouTubers hit up will have an above average crowd the next spring.

AT Hiker

In all seriousness, focus on a state that the YouTubers haven't hit yet. I now plan my springs around where they hunted the previous spring. Last spring I hunted two "untouched" states in the far east and had awesome hunts. First time in either state. The best part about one of the states was only seeing 2 other hunters in 3 days of hunting. That is becoming a rarity! I'd much rather hunt a place with a few birds and few people than a place that holds more birds but is covered up with people. And you seem to already know any state the YouTubers hit up will have an above average crowd the next spring.
I agree 100%.

AT Hiker

Well you already did the Nebraska Merriam that would be my first choice if was going out of state. I would also look at Ohio and Texas for a Rio Grande. Honestly I have no desire to hunt in Florida for an Osceola. They are beautiful but trudging through the swamp with the bugs and snakes does nothing for me. Could care less about completing the Grand Slam I would rather enjoy the hunt.
Ive killed a Rio and Merriam and Im not at all interested in a FL hunt for the same reasons you mentioned. I like the idea of a early hunt, thats about it.

The subspecies is not as important to me as the location. Hunting mountain Merriams and Plains Rios was awesome, no way I would enjoy it as much if it were big hardwoods or typical farm land.
One day, Im doing a true wilderness turkey hunt. Backpack into a designated wilderness for a week and chase untamed birds, look for elk sheds and throw a fly into clear mountain water.

Rakkin6

Ive killed a Rio and Merriam and Im not at all interested in a FL hunt for the same reasons you mentioned. I like the idea of a early hunt, thats about it.

The subspecies is not as important to me as the location. Hunting mountain Merriams and Plains Rios was awesome, no way I would enjoy it as much if it were big hardwoods or typical farm land.
One day, Im doing a true wilderness turkey hunt. Backpack into a designated wilderness for a week and chase untamed birds, look for elk sheds and throw a fly into clear mountain water.
Yeah someplace out west like Wyoming, Montana or Utah would be cool to do. Those mountains are no joke I know that first hand. Went out to Fort Carson for a mountain warfare course messing around up on and around Pikes Peak the thin oxygen had me gasping for air.

mike52

My first turkey was an Osceola in Deep South FL. Was very exciting hunt. Have a friend that lives in the Lakeport area, and at the time he had land that ajoined the Seminole Indian reservation. He took me out to where he wanted me to hunt, DEEP IN THE SWAMP, and said 'Look for landmarks to find on your way here in here am." As I walked out I would turn after so many paces to see the landmarks to try to remember . Well after a long much sleepless night I started out on my on. Was doing good seeing the landmarks (like a crossed palm tree) even though it was dark. I didn't know that he had a few cattle there, one snorted, I ABOUT SKI% myself, lost count of my path but still made it to my blind as the daylight was breaking. Hens started talking , I made a soft hen cluck, tom about 30 yards for me fired up, came to see this new hen he heard . 17 pounds/ 1 1/2 spurs 9 inch beard . After thinking it years later don't think I would do it again, but some of things me and my buddy did, Airboating, gator hunting ,frog gigging will last a life time in my memory

AT Hiker

That sounds like a perfect trip....hunt turkey...hunt sheds...fish... awesome.
Yes sir. When it comes to Turkey hunting I'm much more apt to "chill" and enjoy the entire adventure.
I can hike for days looking for sheds and small lakes /streams that hold untouched trout. Hoping to hear a gobble to chase.
Its a hiking trip with a Turkey tag, aka purpose.

Latest posts