Tuning help

CrossVolle

Sorry guys been busy, but there where some mistakes on my part I decided to go back and start over. I reverified my insert and point weights I was wrong on the point weight. Only shooting 100gr I wanted to shoot 125 last yr when I built the arrows but couldn't find the broadheads so I went with 100.
28 inch Sirius Vulcan 10gpi
100 gr insert
100 gr point
Lighted nock
3 blazers ( swapping soon to 2.75 tac shield cuts)
Came out to 549 total weight

Also found my centerline was off not sure how, but rest is now at 13/16 and shooting pretty good.

Thanks for all the help.
You said you were shooting 65 pounds at 28.5 inch draw?

You are over-spined if anything with that arrow cut to 28 inches.

I am shooting a Sirius Apollo 300 spine out of my V3X 33 that is pulling at 73 pounds with a 30.5 inch draw with 30.5 inch arrows. I had shot them out of my old bow with a 100g insert up front with a 125 head. Weighed in at about 540g. Now here is where it gets tricky. I bought my current bow, and shot those arrows with it and they were acting funny. After days of pulling my hair out, i decided to heck with it i think this bow is just generating a little bit more sudden force and now i was under-spined. So, before i gave up and bought a 250 spine of the same arrow (they are not cheap arrows), i decided to knock the inserts out, sawed off 50 grains, and threw the 125g tips on and shot it. BOOM! i mean on the money bullet holes. Arrow flight perfect. Picked up some speed on the side which is never bad. You wanna talk about a battle axe coming at a deer with a 490 grain, 14% FOC arrow with some speed to it. I cannot wait to see how they perform through meat.

With that said, the moral of the story is mess around with different stuff in the off season. You will learn a lot about what your bow likes, and what it does not like. When you hit the right mark you will know it instantly.

I have never really worried about bare shafts outside of literally 5 yards. Too much human error involved any further than that. This is all JMO. As long as you cannot see your arrow getting wonky down range, and you are grouping tight i am not sure i would worry about it.

Last edited:

Ladys man

You said you were shooting 65 pounds at 28.5 inch draw?

You are over-spined if anything with that arrow cut to 28 inches.

I am shooting a Sirius Apollo 300 spine out of my V3X 33 that is pulling at 73 pounds with a 30.5 inch draw with 30.5 inch arrows. I had shot them out of my old bow with a 100g insert up front with a 125 head. Weighed in at about 540g. Now here is where it gets tricky. I bought my current bow, and shot those arrows with it and they were acting funny. After days of pulling my hair out, i decided to heck with it i think this bow is just generating a little bit more sudden force and now i was under-spined. So, before i gave up and bought a 250 spine of the same arrow (they are not cheap arrows), i decided to knock the inserts out, sawed off 50 grains, and threw the 125g tips on and shot it. BOOM! i mean on the money bullet holes. Arrow flight perfect. Picked up some speed on the side which is never bad. You wanna talk about a battle axe coming at a deer with a 490 grain, 14% FOC arrow with some speed to it. I cannot wait to see how they perform through meat.

With that said, the moral of the story is mess around with different stuff in the off season. You will learn a lot about what your bow likes, and what it does not like. When you hit the right mark you will know it instantly.

I have never really worried about bare shafts outside of literally 5 yards. Too much human error involved any further than that. This is all JMO. As long as you cannot see your arrow getting wonky down range, and you are grouping tight i am not sure i would worry about it.
According to Sirius website I'm spined correctly, but again it's just internet info.
That's how I found out I was wrong from my original post. I knocked out my inserts weighing everything again. My plan was to take some weight of the inserts. But once I seen centerline was off (fixed that) I started shooting again before cutting. Arrow flight improved a lot.
Still have some tinkering to do tho. Also haven't checked broadhead flight yet.

Jbird22

Check field tip and broadhead poa/poi at your intended hunting distances. If field tips and broadheads group together, your bow is tuned and NOTHING else matters!

Last edited:

CrossVolle

According to Sirius website I'm spined correctly, but again it's just internet info.
That's how I found out I was wrong from my original post. I knocked out my inserts weighing everything again. My plan was to take some weight of the inserts. But once I seen centerline was off (fixed that) I started shooting again before cutting. Arrow flight improved a lot.
Still have some tinkering to do tho. Also haven't checked broadhead flight yet.
There's no doubt that if your centerline was off the rest really does not matter. Shoot on baby.

Latest posts