Tuning calls?

Mud Creek

I've read you can sand them or trim very little pieces or strips off the reed. How do you know if/when to tune them(other than if they obviously sound bad) does sanding produce different sounds than trimming? Should a good call not need to be messed with or can a little tweeking make a good call even better?

chimneyman

Unless you really really know how Best thing to do is order replacement reeds. Then if you want you can work on your old reed and practice trying to tune it

MickThompson

Also, the reed has a top side and a bottom caused by memory from the roll the Mylar comes on. If you try to run it upside down, it will never tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mud Creek

Thanks guys. Don't want to ruin calls but I've bought a few different calls to play with. Echo, elite, buck gardner, and haydels. I just feel like on one of the calls(echo) I don't hear the "ck" sound at the end that some have and another (elite freak)straight up sounds about like a grunt call lol it's a single reed though which I read can be a little harder for beginners to start on. It could be the caller, and that elite was just a 30 something dollar poly call so that may play a part in the sound also.

MickThompson

All calls blow a little different. Besides tuning the reed, each different model will blow differently because of the profile of the exhaust and the length and bore of the barrel. I think elites are a cut down style, and these take air completely from an Arkansas style.

Find one you can make sound like a duck and go with it, but just blow it in the truck until you can.

Mud Creek

I was in bass pro a little while back (side note: it's amazing the amount of money you can spend QUICK in that store on duck hunting then get home look it all over and have 10 more things you need already lined up to buy the next time you go. $$$$$$$$$$$$)Anyway, I got lucky when I went a few days before Christmas eve and picked up that echo diamomdwood timber call. It was on a $29.99 rack so I figured it's be ok to start with. They rang me up at the register and it came to like $70 I told them cancel that it was with cheaper ones id just grab whichever was the $29 call. I guess because of the line they gave me the call for 29 which was a nice little score.

I use to be big into turkey hunting and appreciated different calls and their different sounds. I can tell it's going to be a lot like that for me with duck calls. I'd like that echo to be a tad more raspier really but I don't mind it as is. Anyone on here use(d) echo calls?

MickThompson

Echo is a solid brand. A lot of guys claim to build custom duck calls but simply turn the barrel and stick a polycarbonate echo insert in it.

Latest posts