Tuesday Hype - What did you see?!

Puckett Creek

Catman - maybe cull isn't the right term - guess some outfitters use the term management buck. But I try to only shoot mature bucks (and does) and i take pride in each deer I take as its an accomplishment to kill a big deer.

I use the word cull bc most of us wud like and expect a mature buck to have more than 6 pts and i know that i wud prefer that his genes not be passed on as ive seen several large 6 pts this yr on our place.

I called him a 4 1/2 yr old. A guy that knows aging better than me thinks he's an older deer in decline. Either way. I'm proud to get him and consider him a trophy! Thx for the comment and question.

Deck78

Puckett Creek said:
Catman - maybe cull isn't the right term - guess some outfitters use the term management buck. But I try to only shoot mature bucks (and does) and i take pride in each deer I take as its an accomplishment to kill a big deer.

I use the word cull bc most of us wud like and expect a mature buck to have more than 6 pts and i know that i wud prefer that his genes not be passed on as ive seen several large 6 pts this yr on our place.

I called him a 4 1/2 yr old. A guy that knows aging better than me thinks he's an older deer in decline. Either way. I'm proud to get him and consider him a trophy! Thx for the comment and question.

:grin:

bigtex

Three does, a racoon, a couple of squirrells, and a hen turkey that scared the bejezus out of me on the walk back home.
BTW, one of the does was a piebald, purty little feller.

vonhogslayer

Saw a biggun cruzin at day break then@6:30 the dozer fired up and five dump trucks started rolling in......I'm glad they will be done tomm .hauling churt and pissin me off,my buddy had a doe and a nice eight come by no shot but he said he was big and dogging the Doe,also said he crawled on his knees some wierd lol,same property in Hickman

catman529

Robtattoo said:
I can't believe so many of you guys are passing on all these does! Can i come hunt 'em for ya?
I already kilt 3 does this year and a buck, and want to wait on another buck, but looking back I wish I had taken one of the does this morning. If I see em tomorrow and no grunting or does looking over their shoulders then I will stick one.

Winchester

catman529 said:
Congrats. Why would you use the term "cull" for a mature 6pt? Sounds like a trophy to me.

I saw 8 or 9 this morn all does n fawns no bucks or sign of them today. Sitting another hour and a half in the tree before going home, unless another deer makes a fatal move before then
A "Cull" buck is a buck that is fully mature but has antlers much smaller than average for the area he lives in!!! No real reason to kill him for any other reason than you simply want to!! Passing so called bad genes by the buck has pretty much been disproven, especially in a free ranging herd where he may breed a doe with superior antler genetics that she passes along to her offspring!
Culls exist, just no real reason to 'cull' them other than wanting to pull the trigger!

catman529

Puckett Creek said:

is he a big 6 or a small 6? Just curious. I think the age is what matters though. I am more than psyched to have killed a 5.5 yr old buck being only my 2nd buck ever and 1st with a bow. He had one antler broken off and the other a huge 3 pt so he could have been an impressive 6. in that case, a higher # of points is not important to me personally. I just have a thing for big 6 pt bucks.

TRIGGER

I saw a doe with a fawn, a spike, a decent eight and then another doe. I also saw a chayote and two dogs. Today was the slowest day out of four hunts in that stand. By far. I got down at 11:30. Jumped 2 groups of doe up on my way out.

infoman jr.

I saw the land owner drive through all the fields on the 80 acre property. I met him in the middle of one of them and talked to him. That was at 8am. When I got back to the base of my ladder, I was met by a mink (first one I've seen in the wild). It approached me, got within 5 feet and hissed. I climbed back up and saw 2 does. On my way out, a spike came busting out of the woods. He stopped and walked toward me. When he figured out I wasn't his type, he ran off. I'm going to go sneak in the edge of a field and watch the last hour here in a minute.

Bone Collector

I went to work today :( my brother got a buck (his 2nd of all time first on his new property). it had a messed up rack 6 on one side if you count all the stickers and kickers and a spike with a kicker on the other. it was also his first deer with his new ML.

maybe I'll put a pic up later if he don't care.

JGreg

Finally made it out, see 2 dove 1 squirrel, and 1 hawk. Plus an awesome looking sunset in the near future, GREAT DAY!

sure shot

well 21 total deer, woods exploded this a.m. around 6:30-7, big 7 prolly 2.5 yr old following a doe as im watching them from behind comes 3 fawns with all kind of noise to my left 2 small bucks chasing momma around,then another 1.5 yr old comes in on big 7 pts doe and and its on chasing does going crazy,small bucks everywhere 7 pt didnt have a chance...lol 2 young bucks sqaured off and went at it flippin the other over,i missed a big doe out @ 150 yds.then it went quite at 9a.m. by 10:30 i decide to go check what TVA had done to the fence row and road on our back side,ended up busting 2 bucks prolly 130+. circled down wind on a trail out of there sight never to see them again so i backed out came back to field seeing 2 more bucks chasing yet again 60 yds couldnt get the doe to stop........this morning was amazing even tho i didnt kill one !!!

medic

Had a 6 point with a tall rack come in after I hit the grunt tube a few times. Dirt rolled him and went to the house that was at 8:00 am.

cfmartin1833

bigtex said:
Three does, a racoon, a couple of squirrells, and a hen turkey that scared the bejezus out of me on the walk back home.
BTW, one of the does was a piebald, purty little feller.

I don't usually take does this time of year but if I saw a piebald doe, I think she'd be in the freezer!

Latest posts