TSS Pattern

Southern Sportsman

Rockhound posted pics of a 20 gauge TSS pattern a few weeks ago, and it was the first I'd heard of the stuff. I did a lot of research about it, bugged the hell out of a few people, spent too much money, and finally got the stuff to load it. Tested it today, and it's awesome. For those unfamiliar, TSS is like hevishot on steroids. Hevishot is 20% heavier than lead, TSS is 80% heavier.

3" - 2 oz -- TSS #8s

Bottom number is pellets in 10" circle, top number is pellets between 10" and 20"

40 yard pattern:
IMGP1929_zps927ca5ac.jpg

50 yard pattern: (circles should have been drawn up and left about 2 inches)
IMGP1930_zps0b67e7cd.jpg

60 yard pattern:
IMGP1932_zps13159245.jpg

Andy S.

I've never heard anything but good stuff about TSS. I've followed Hal over the years on other forums as he has tested and developed numerous loads as well as shown his success through pictures, stories and explanations to questions asked by various interested parties. If I ever were to load my own shells, I'd probably give TSS a go, especially in a low recoil 20 gauge load. Thanks for sharing.

Andy S.

Southern Sportsman said:
Hevishot is 20% heavier than lead, TSS is 80% heavier.
7% and 60% would be more accurate. Lead is 11.3g/cc, HS is 12g/cc and TSS is 18g/cc. Bottom line is still the same, TSS will out pattern and out penetrate lead and HS by leaps and bounds, but at a substantial increase in cost to the user. I know how much the raw TSS shot sells for, but was wondering what you had in each shell after you added hull, primer, wad, buffer, etc?

Rockhound

Andy S. said:
Southern Sportsman said:
7% and 60% would be more accurate. Lead is 11.3g/cc, HS is 12g/cc and TSS is 18g/cc. Bottom line is still the same, TSS will out pattern and out penetrate lead and HS by leaps and bounds, but at a substantial increase in cost to the user. I know how much the raw TSS shot sells for, but was wondering what you had in each shell after you added hull, primer, wad, buffer, etc?

A few cents either way of $7

Southern Sportsman

Andy S. said:
Southern Sportsman said:
7% and 60% would be more accurate. Lead is 11.3g/cc, HS is 12g/cc and TSS is 18g/cc.

I thought lead was 10.3g/cc, but i'm pretty new to this. As for the cost, with a 2 oz 12 gauge load, i figured the cost to be close to $8 per. With hevishot costing around $5, the difference is worth it to me.

It was shot out of a Fausti Waterfowl II (o/u) through the top barrel with a carlsons flush extra full (.680).

Southern Sportsman

2 oz of tss cost me $6.88 ($110 for 2 lbs shipped / 16 shells) plus a little over a dollar in other stuff. It varies some i suppose depending on when and where you get stuff.

As for where to get it, you have to know a guy. Check out oldgobbler.com.

Andy S.

Rockhound said:
With a 2 oz charge the shot alone is $6 ......
I got an email from Hal 5 days ago that quoted me and many others $58 per pound for TSS delivered to my door. That equates to $7.25 for TSS alone for a 2 ounce load, thus I was thinking a 2 ounce shot of TSS would be right at $8/shell, maybe more. Hal also quoted me a very small savings ($.50/ 2ounces of shot) if purchased four pounds, basically bulk price if you will. Are you buying it in bulk to get the reduced price ($6 per 2oz charge) or are you using last year's prices?

Rockhound

Andy S. said:
Rockhound said:
With a 2 oz charge the shot alone is $6 ......
I got an email from Hal 5 days ago that quoted me and many others $58 per pound for TSS delivered to my door. That equates to $7.25 for TSS alone for a 2 ounce load, thus I was thinking a 2 ounce shot of TSS would be right at $8/shell, maybe more. Hal also quoted me a very small savings ($.50/ 2ounces of shot) if purchased four pounds, basically bulk price if you will. Are you buying it in bulk to get the reduced price ($6 per 2oz charge) or are you using last year's prices?

My dumb butt forgot to figure in shipping i forgot about that. But i order at least 4lb at a time. I got the email to just forgot the shipping cost

Rockhound

Southern Sportsman said:
2 oz of tss cost me $6.88 ($110 for 2 lbs shipped / 16 shells) plus a little over a dollar in other stuff. It varies some i suppose depending on when and where you get stuff.

Gobblernation is an easier way to find him

Southern Sportsman

Rockhound said:
Southern Sportsman said:

Gobblernation is an easier way to find him

Yes -- gobblernation.com - i mistyped.