TSS My Way

TiminTN

I got into TSS recently, and was looking at all the fantastic pictures of 20 ga patterns. I been hunting turkeys maybe 25 years and have always enjoyed the technical aspect of guns, loads and pellet counts. I was brought to this by the guy who taught me 99% of my hunting and gun tuning Frank Cox. Frank is a #4 guy says he wants to "break them down" and the targets he was proudest of shooting Winchester Supremes was a 10" pellet count of 85 to 88 in a 10 inch circle. Boy have things come a long way!!

I set myself 2 goals getting into TSS, 1 was a pellet count of 200, and a 1250 to 1300 fps speed to increase energy and penetration for the smaller #9 shot. Well my goals have been achieved. I shot yesterday in breezy conditions, but had just been waiting to long to get out and go. I hunt Mississippi and our season opens the 15th, TOMORROW!!

I kept adjusting the scope, after I found the right choke for my load, started with a .562" *IC, then a .560 Haymaker, saw I was going the wrong way, screwed in a .565" and found happiness!! The .560" Haymaker produced 111 in the 10" circle, very touchy to choke selection. I`m shooting 1 1/4 oz TSS #9, with velocity of 1369 fps. Thats what I call DONE!!

20180313_133802_zpsghfzftcf.jpg

megalomaniac

That dog will hunt! I feel bad for any tom your gun gets pointed toward.

One question though... with penetration of #9 TSS equivalent to #4 lead, do you think it is better to push a smaller load (1.25oz) at higher speeds, or drop the speed a tad (1100-1150fps) and send a larger payload downrange (1 5/8oz)? From what I've read, penetration at normal shotgun velocities is adequate for turkeys out to 90 yards or so with #9 TSS. (OFC, I do NOT advocate shooting birds at that distance, and would never take a shot beyond 50yds intentionally).

But I can also see the value of a very fast load... much more benefit to KE, less drop at longer ranges, shorter TOF in case the bird moves, etc. Just trying to wrap my head around which would be better... larger payload or faster but smaller payload.

TiminTN

megalomaniac":2i65lpxy said:
That dog will hunt! I feel bad for any tom your gun gets pointed toward.

One question though... with penetration of #9 TSS equivalent to #4 lead, do you think it is better to push a smaller load (1.25oz) at higher speeds, or drop the speed a tad (1100-1150fps) and send a larger payload downrange (1 5/8oz)? From what I've read, penetration at normal shotgun velocities is adequate for turkeys out to 90 yards or so with #9 TSS. (OFC, I do NOT advocate shooting birds at that distance, and would never take a shot beyond 50yds intentionally).

But I can also see the value of a very fast load... much more benefit to KE, less drop at longer ranges, shorter TOF in case the bird moves, etc. Just trying to wrap my head around which would be better... larger payload or faster but smaller payload.

I guess I`m guilty of being on the skeptical side hunting with #9 shot, so to calm my nerves, I chose to start out with TSS in this fashion. Thats the great thing about rolling your own, once I see and become a believer I may go that route, heavier/slower. I was given a few loads by the TSS seller, Hal. I just know from past experience shooting a well set up 870 Supermag, and its capabilities, kind of where I wanted to be sitting it down and picking up a 20 gauge. I do feel confident with this load.

Andy S.

TiminTN":339bugle said:
That pattern was shot with a .565" Indian Creek.
Not surprised to hear this as IC chokes typically shoot the best with TSS if you want a very uniform distribution of pellets, and no blown patterns with holes all throughout it. Best of luck in the turkey woods this year.

Latest posts