Trying to get lucky

BuckNazty

This season has been different. It started over the summer running trail cams and not getting any bucks that got me excited. I played it off thinking "well all the good bucks I get during the summer usually disappear once they shed velvet anyways". So then I was optimistic that a good buck would move in once the bachelor groups broke up. Still haven't seen nor gotten pictures of a "shooter". Hunting in Southern Hardeman County, I usually start seeing older age classed bucks cruising around Thanksgiving but the main chasing occurs around the first week of December. Now that I have concluded what I would've said to be the best weekend of the season to have only seen a pretty 2.5 year old 7 point locked down with a doe in a CRP field makes me wonder if it's going to happen this year. My standpoint now is that hopefully in the next coming weeks once the majority of Does get bred that a mature buck will roam looking for those last remaining unbred Does. I'm just needing a lot of luck this year and don't know what happened. This property is roughly 300 acres and I've hunted it for 20 years. We manage it well and usually have a good amount of shooter bucks using the property and even more good up and comers. It is weird not having any history with different bucks to hunt but whatever the situation unfolds, I'll be out there ready for a big boy to mess up! One thing I have realized is that A) I have been extremely spoiled over the years and should not take them for granted and B) It beats being at work!