True or False?

TheLBLman

ive hunted one time in south carolina where its legal. not really my thing, but the people i know there see no problem with it. to each is their own
. . . . . "to each their own" if legal?
That would be more in line with my thoughts, if legal.

In South Carolina (or parts of it) hunting deer with dogs is legal.
I've never done it, but do understand it's a "tradition" for that area,
and sounds like it could be very exciting at times.

As a child, I did quite a bit of rabbit hunting with beagles.
It was legal, fun & exciting, just very different than say, duck hunting.
I guess a deer could be looked at somewhat as just a big rabbit?

Hunting deer over bait in KY is legal,
so nothing legally wrong with doing it, there.

But turkey hunting over bait is legal no where,
yet I honestly believe somewhere around 20% of the turkeys killed over the past few years
in TN have been killed over a bait pile.

I do have a big problem with that, in part because it's illegal, in a bigger part because it's stealing from the majority of hunters trying to follow the law & be ethical in their hunting (actual "hunting").

Hymie3

I'm sure I will regret chiming in on this 😁but
I'm old enough to clearly remember hunting before cameras and or baiting were even a thing as are some of you guys. Seems to me like the satisfaction rate was/is higher when you outsmart your animal naturally using skills you learned by putting hard work and time in to.
If you go back several years and think about it from that perspective, baiting for deer and Turkey was only done by poachers and criminals…..just saying.

TheLBLman

Seems to me like the satisfaction rate was/is higher when you outsmart your animal naturally using skills you learned by putting hard work and time in to.
Totally agree.
However, the typical trail cam user is utilizing trail cams as a scouting tool.
Just more "intel", that can be another aspect to your "scouting".

If you go back several years and think about it from that perspective, baiting for deer and Turkey was only done by poachers and criminals…..just saying.
Still the case today . . . . . just saying.

backyardtndeer

I do have a big problem with that, in part because it's illegal, in a bigger part because it's stealing from the majority of hunters trying to follow the law & be ethical in their hunting (actual "hunting").
This is my biggest issue. It is cheating. When I target a specific deer and have that deer regularly using my property, only to have it disappear likely to have fallen to one of the baiters nearby, it is extremely frustrating and disheartening. Thing is I know about baiting going on bordering properties, but can't do a thing about it. I did clue in the last game warden, but don't think he ever checked into it. I have actually seen them ride in on our dead end road with bagged corn in the beds of their side by sides during season. On another bordering property, the boy on the other side of me told me his cows were getting out and getting into the corn at .....'s feeder. That was also during season.

Is what it is and I won't get into a baiting war, I have to look at myself in the mirror.

killingtime 41

Hunting close to an acorn producing tree certainly isn't like hunting over a bag of corn you bought and poured out. In the exact spot that deer travel. And with a perfect tree to climb with unobstructed shot and view of the bait. To kill a deer out of an acorn dropping tree takes way more skill. For one you have to memorize your oaks. You have to know which ones are whites and which are reds. And which ones have the least tannin. Making them much more desired by deer first. You have to find trails from bed to food. And how much sign is under the acorn producing trees. You have finally found walking 5 miles. And then have to pic the one that you think gives you the best chance. That also offers you a tree close enough to even have a shot. All that to finally sit in the tree to find out. The deer have found a better tree elsewhere.

Snake

Baiting is a signficant condemnation of a shooters ability to hunt.
If anyone condemns one with that thought in mind then hunting over a food plot could be called the same . Isn't one hunting in a shooting house overlooking a food plot basically the same except its legal ? I wouldn't condemn either except baiting is illegal, maybe say it's a lazy man's way of hunting ..... wish I had a couple shooting houses overlooking nice plush food plots 😂

waterman

. . . . . "to each their own" if legal?
That would be more in line with my thoughts, if legal.

In South Carolina (or parts of it) hunting deer with dogs is legal.
I've never done it, but do understand it's a "tradition" for that area,
and sounds like it could be very exciting at times.

As a child, I did quite a bit of rabbit hunting with beagles.
It was legal, fun & exciting, just very different than say, duck hunting.
I guess a deer could be looked at somewhat as just a big rabbit?

Hunting deer over bait in KY is legal,
so nothing legally wrong with doing it, there.

But turkey hunting over bait is legal no where,
yet I honestly believe somewhere around 20% of the turkeys killed over the past few years
in TN have been killed over a bait pile.

agreed.... "if legal"