Trout

larry ipock

TWRA is scheduled to release trout in the city lake next month. Have never fished for them. Someone told me that you have to bleed them to make them better eating. Is this true? I was given some last year, and they fell apart in the pan.

Buzzard Breath

They've been eating the equivalent of dog food all their lives. It's going to take a heck of a lot more than just bleeding them to make them edible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

TheLBLman":4sskpyfe said:
Buzzard Breath":4sskpyfe said:
They've been eating the equivalent of dog food all their lives.
How is that any different than "farm-raised" catfish?
Not sure. I couldn't tell you the last time I ate one of those either.

woodyard

After removing their insides. You want to clean out the bloodline. This lies underneath the spinal column. Use your thumbnail and start at the tail end and run it towards the head pushing out the bloodline.

Wash out thorough , season body cavity and throw on a hot charcoal grill. Delicious!

I clean them by making a cut up the belly , starting at the anus and running up about inch or so from their jaw bone. Make a cross cut to separate their tongue area from the jaw bone. Grab that inch or section and pull down stripping out gills and the entrails in one motion.Then clean out the bloodline. If you want to skin them to fry, snap the head back , breaking the backbone and then peel skin off in one motion.It is pretty quick after you have done several hundred over the years.

larry ipock

Buzzard Breath":1sqr4dzz said:
They've been eating the equivalent of dog food all their lives. It's going to take a heck of a lot more than just bleeding them to make them edible.

That's about what I thought.

larry ipock

woodyard":lzzu40x6 said:
After removing their insides. You want to clean out the bloodline. This lies underneath the spinal column. Use your thumbnail and start at the tail end and run it towards the head pushing out the bloodline.

Wash out thorough , season body cavity and throw on a hot charcoal grill. Delicious!

I clean them by making a cut up the belly , starting at the anus and running up about inch or so from their jaw bone. Make a cross cut to separate their tongue area from the jaw bone. Grab that inch or section and pull down stripping out gills and the entrails in one motion.Then clean out the bloodline. If you want to skin them to fry, snap the head back , breaking the backbone and then peel skin off in one motion.It is pretty quick after you have done several hundred over the years.

Were these wild or hatchery trout?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
larry ipock":i9h83nro said:
woodyard":i9h83nro said:

Works the same for both.
Woodyard can clean 3 trout before I can get my knife out too. LOL

woodyard

larry ipock":uw781wwv said:
woodyard":uw781wwv said:

You are not going to find many wild trout in the South. Some up in the Smokies. All the tail waters and most of the streams are stocked from hatchery fish. Some raise in the rivers , but not many. They used to tell me over in Arkansas that you could tell the river born trout would have red flesh like a salmon. I don't if there is anything to it or not. I have caught some like that ,but the majority has white flesh.

TheLBLman

Who doesn't prefer the idea of eating the most "wild" trout possible?

But I've never had fresh trout that weren't pretty good eating.

Any trout you eat in a restaurant or buy at the grocery are going to be the worst of whatever is bad about hatchery trout.
Are they as "good" as some truly wild ones caught in some remote stream that is never stocked?
I've eaten all, but honestly had never thought about noticing any difference in taste.

catman529

Buzzard Breath":1lrs8xt7 said:
TheLBLman":1lrs8xt7 said:
Buzzard Breath":1lrs8xt7 said:
They've been eating the equivalent of dog food all their lives.
How is that any different than "farm-raised" catfish?
Not sure. I couldn't tell you the last time I ate one of those either.

they don't taste bad at all. Some people prefer farm raised fish, I don't, but the stocker trout are fine. I like to smoke them with hickory and make a cream cheese based dip.

There is a "mud vein" below the spine you will see when you gut the fish. Scrape that out and with your finger and rinse it out till there's no more dark stuff. The meat is fine, does not have to be "bled"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro