Trolling Motor/battery set-up?

TNCharlie

I have a Minn Kota iPilot trolling motor in my Tracker Grizzly. The battery is not connected to the outboard and thus not to a battery charger. The iPilot uses enough power that the battery may run down before I'm through for the day.

I do carry a spare battery but it would be nice to not have to swap out batteries until I'm through fishing for the day. My idea is to hook two batteries in parallel thus getting more amp hours which means longer runtime. (I would still carry a spare - I'm a bit paranoid.)

If I connect two batteries in parallel that should accomplish what I want (12v but double the amp hours), but will that do any harm to my trolling motor and its wiring?

TNCharlie

Okay, I did a little more research. Looks like I'm only about the millionth guy to ask about this. I do believe that my plan is solid and safe. If no one tells me different I'm going to give it a try. Apparently the batteries need to be the identical.

waynesworld

I actually run 5 batteries two are connected that way for the electronics and one is a starter battery that i can add to the two with a simple jumper cable i keep. Then I have the two trolling motor batteries. There is a power regulator thing i see on tv that will use the motor to charge the weakest batteries but they cost more then i had. They do more then that i think it is from power pole.

Latest posts