Trivia Question for you Tournament Guys

Headhunter

Almost forgot, there used to be some trollers that must have thought we knew something also. I almost always anchor when bass fishing a dropoff or a hump. We had found a school of fish that were averaging about 2 lbs on a drop off. They would suspend out over deep water close to the drop, we would anchor on the edge of the drop and throw and let the lure fall through the school, the fish were about half a cast from the boat. You could literally catch a fish or hook one every cast for short periods of time. This same hydra-sport kept wanting to troll through where the fish were hanging, real close to my BMC (I ran a 17-1/2' with a 150 for several years) and the second time it happened, we were there long before they showed and anchored, a buddy of mine was with me, he was 6'-5" over 300 lbs. When they came by trolling with feet of my boat after they had watched us catch several bass, he asked them what were they doing. They said something like were just riding by, Tim said looked like to me you were trolling and they said well, yes. He stood up and said well troll on mother lovers, they left and I never saw them come close to me again.

AlabamaSwamper

Never had any problems on Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler or Guntersville. Folks around here don't worry about that kind of thing.

Course, everyone around here knows that a big lead sinker tied on a stiff rod will hurt like you know what and everyone I know has one tied on.

Especially for the big recreational boats.

kdxdude

Dang, I was asked if I would tournament fish with a guy this year. I am excited about it, and the possibility to sling some treble hooks into somebody makes me that much more excited!! I've never fished a tournament in my life but my parents raised me to respect other folks, so I don't take too kindly to not gettin respect back. Sounds like this could be real fun!!!!

Winchester

I have fished Tournaments for 20 years and can guarantee you most (not all) but most are the nicest people you will meet. I can tell you a hundred stories myself of Jon boats, bank fisherman, pontoon trollers, etc. Doing things on the lake that were downright ridiculous, and way below anything most tournament fisherman would ever consider. You have bad eggs in every group! Use some common sense and sort through it before you paint with too broad a brush!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Winchester you are, of course, right. But I am starting to see a change. The young guys coming up are not nearly as considerate as the older pros who have been around. It seems that if you have a shirt with a ton of sponsor patches and a wrapped boat, that gives you the right fish a place more so than us common anglers.

Not speaking of you but of the general mindset I am seeing at some of club tournaments on PP and OH. As I said, as a general rule, the real pros, the ones who fish for a lving, are among the nicest guys you can meet on the water. But some of the weekend warriors are real cloacas. I, as I have aged, will not tolerate it any more. I also seldom fish on weekends :)

Latest posts