Trimming trees around plots

buckaroo

I used my polesaw today and probably have quite a few more days, a lot of limbs grow far out into fields shading plots and apple trees

JCDEERMAN

We did the same earlier this year. Then my dad was wondering where all the limbs went where all the bucks usually scrape LOL. Hack & squirt would probably be a better method for all the time and sweat spent

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Trimming and limbing is a required task to keep plots manageable and productive. When and where you have the space or ability, kill some bigger trees and release light an nutrients to the native grasses, weeds and brush that creates a "soft" edge of cover around your plots. This will improve your small game habitat and encourage the deer to move in closer to the plots before dark. soft thick edges 10 to 20 feet wide are very beneficial to game as well as hunting.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I've got to clean up field edges bad. The limbs are making it hard to bushhog what I need to. Especially the autumn olives. They seem to grow 10 feet a year. I'll be starting next week on those. There's probably 25 that needs cut completely back. Then my plan is to try to kill the stumps some how or dig them up. Owning land is a never ending process of work. But I enjoy it a ton

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
With autumn olive the best success is to uproot and remove. Like privet it will sucker and spread after being cut. if cutting this winter wait for it to sucker and put on leaves next spring or early summer then kill it with brush killer. the leaves are covered by a film that will make your chemical roll off so use a surfactant like crop oil or dawn detergent to make the chemical cling to the leaves. Hack and squirt has to be done during growing season as well.

Antler Daddy

We did the same earlier this year. Then my dad was wondering where all the limbs went where all the bucks usually scrape LOL. Hack & squirt would probably be a better method for all the time and sweat spent
I had a 300 yard line of licking branches and scrapes three years ago. Then, my dad decided to trim all the trees.

buckaroo

I've got to clean up field edges bad. The limbs are making it hard to bushhog what I need to. Especially the autumn olives. They seem to grow 10 feet a year. I'll be starting next week on those. There's probably 25 that needs cut completely back. Then my plan is to try to kill the stumps some how or dig them up. Owning land is a never ending process of work. But I enjoy it a ton
Try tordon after you cut them or they will be back, get at your co op, about 12-15$, I 've killed hundreds with it

Latest posts