Treestand, Ground Blind or Still Hunt/ Stalk?

Lt.Dan

Which do you prefer?

I use both treestands and ground blinds, but most times I like ground blind hunting with my crossbow best. I feel more hidden and since I fidget a lot, I'm better concealed. After the leaves drop and using a rifle I find the treestand more advantageous. But for the most comfort I like my homemade ground blinds better. I haven't tried hunting from the store bought blinds yet.

There was a time I could sneak up on sleeping deer but since I've gotten old my sneaking days are over. I trip and stumble too much now. I remember the day I snuck up on a 6 point buck while squirrel hunting. I was probably 16 years old. I had gotten about 10-12 feet away from him when I picked up a stick and threw it at him. I don't know who was scared more when he jumped up and snorted at me. All I was thinking was he was going to charge. Of he didn't. He just turned and ran after a few seconds. What a rush that was. I've snuck up on several other deer since, to within 10 yards. Shot a little 4 point one year after he stood up. I used to hunt a pretty thick patch of woods and we would see each other at about the same time. Most deer would finally wind me and leap away unscathed.

DeerMan66

Mostly ladder stands. I can cover more ground with the height of a ladder stand. I started hunting a property with some very steep terrain this past deer season. After the season ended me and one of my hunting buddies built some natural material ground blinds on the edge of some of the ridges overlooking hollows and natural pinch points. So, we are going to try some ground blinds this year.

TnTurk

Pretty much a ground hunter now. I like being able to move and change positions as the wind and thermals change throughout the day even if it's just a few yards. I use natural ground cover and a turkey seat and don't feel handicapped at all.

Buzzard Breath

Like Andy, I'm mostly hunting out of a climber. I have some pre-hung stands on some private land but I'm about to take them all down for good. I do maintenance on them every year and then never hunt them. The deer just catch onto them so quick, I'd rather stay mobile. I'm 52 and train to hunt this way, so I'm going to keep doing it as long as I can.

I should also add that I'm a morning person. Getting up and getting to my spot well before light is never an issue.

Last edited:

Rakkin6

Well I hunt public land and where I hunt it is mandatory if you carry it in with you in the morning it comes out in the evening. You can't leave stands in the woods and you can't leave ground blinds. So I use a climber all season long for this reason. Never has any luck throwing up a blind out of nowhere and the deer having a good reaction. Now turkey hunting in the rain I will throw out a blind no problem.

Latest posts