Trees Are Hitting The Ground

Jarred525

Well, the loggers have started this morning. I am excited. I hope to post pics and use this thread to update on progress.

I am clear cutting a couple of 10 acre areas in the center of the property for sanctuary (going to establish some of this in pine plantings), select cutting a 5 acre bench, and also clear cutting a number of shooting lanes for some of my tree stands (300 yard long lanes, 30 yards wide sort of a hub and spoke design) My neighbor is also doing a 15 acre clear cut on his property.

Jarred525

Yep, prices were great in the summer and then quickly fell off. I proceeded with my cut because 60 to 70% of the cut is really pulp or low value timber. If it were timber of real value, I would have held off. I was very happy to find someone that would mess with pulp.

Looking back, I wish I would have started during the summer as I might have gotten a few more dollars out of the cut. But with the bulk of the cut being pulp, not going to be a big difference.

Truedouble

our crew started cutting my family's farm in 20 acre sections this summer (cut 5 sections) with a long term goal to cut 4-5 sections every 3 -4 years so we always have a diversity of habitat. In hind site and next time we cut I am going to put a little more thought in to shooting lanes, stand locations, roads and wind direction, etc. I'm pleased with what we've done so far and sometimes your limited with mountain terrain but when you start hunting the cut overs it's hard not to think of ways to do it even better the next time.

Jarred525

Logging
Here are pics if I can get this working.

Jarred525

I am doing something wrong posting the pics. I'll try and fool with it some more tomorrow. Basically, a few pics of the place from Saturday. They got a decent start on Friday.

BSK

Jarred525 said:
I am doing something wrong posting the pics.

You need the name of the image file at the end.

"http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/jarred525/Logging/" is just the name of the directory where the pictures are stored.

PickettSFHunter

Thats alright Jarred. I couldnt get loggers here to mess with logs like that. Looks like good bit of shagbark standing in the top pic. Looks like you have plenty of cedar around there as well. What kind of walnut do you have? We have mostly Black here but most you find in the woods is English. Didnt know how it was out there.

Jarred525

smstone22 said:
Thats alright Jarred. I couldnt get loggers here to mess with logs like that. Looks like good bit of shagbark standing in the top pic. Looks like you have plenty of cedar around there as well. What kind of walnut do you have? We have mostly Black here but most you find in the woods is English. Didnt know how it was out there.
It still amazes me what this logger is cutting. He told me he will load all that he can, including the small stuff as pulp. Those pics are of one small area where I have mainly shagbark hickory. It is a pretty rocky area which leads me to another thread I am going to start about planting pine in this area. I am leaving a 50 yard buffer area around this particular area as it is a block of woods that borders our driveway up to the cabin. Our walnut is mostly black. We do have a good amount of cedar, not a lot where I am doing this cut. The interior of our cabin is actually all cedar taken off of the farm.

Jarred525

Well, just wanted to give an update. Loggers have not been able to get in due to the weather. Hoping maybe they get in a few hours today and maybe later in the week as well.
Measured out my pine planting areas and I believe I am going to plant about 8.5 acres in pine. 5 acres on a south slope and another 3.5 on a north slope. Spoke to my pine planter and got him lined up. I was hoping to have him planting by now but the weather delays are probably going to push it to late February. Should make a couple of nice bedding areas. Appreciate all of the TSI advice. I put that advice to good use this weekend and fell really good about how I have marked things so far.

Pics to come when something happens :)

Jarred525

smstone22 said:
What kind of price are you getting per thousand for the different species your having cut if you dont mind saying?
Nothing has been taken to the mill yet but will be glad to share once I see the data. They have only gotten one day of work in thus far :(

I can tell you for the pulp they are paying me $7/ton, I'll let you know what they are getting total. One thing in this logger I have not been able to find in anyone else, he will cut everything you want, including the pulp. I am so excited to see how these areas are going to look. Will definitely share pics.

Jarred525

BSK said:
As long as the pines are in before spring green-up, you'll be fine.

Thanks, I guess I had read something in the past that said the earlier in the winter the better for pine, but I had pine do fine planted in mid to late March.

deerchaser007

Just curious,.. why did you not remove the scally bark hickory in that area if you plan on going with pines in the 1st pic?

Make some before and after pics of the clear cut areas,.. and keep us updated with the results. When i had my log done that was a mistake i made,.. i should have had a couple clear cut areas done.

Latest posts