Tree stand gun management

Hduke86

I lay mine across front bar and butt across the side on my right since I'm right handed. As for deer picking you off with movement. I'd just try to SLOWLY move while they're feeding,looking other way, behind trees. You can get away with slow movements enough that even if they see you they usually give you enough time to get on them if they are trying to figure you out. Now if they wind you or are on alert for some reason then yea a little movement can or will make them get gone.

Mattt

yup. We use blind material and pipe insulation too. As far as dropping it is concerned, weapon retention is a different subject all together. There used to be a great 10 week class that taught this among other things lol

Speedwell-Hunter

Is it the movement or are you making a sound getting it in to position? If it's sounds get pipe insulation to put around rail then tie wrap or tape to rail . My Summitt climber has it all around rail and other parts to keep metal to metal sounds quite .
movement and not wanting to drop by set up into the ground. im nervous to even look at the gun up in the stand.

Speedwell-Hunter

Also, if hunting with my AR10, I cross strap the AR as I am climbing rather than unloading it. Unloading and loading an AR to rope it up is way too noisy for me. Never felt real comfortable slowly releasing the charging handle and relying on the forward assist to get the round into battery. How are you getting your AR into the stand?
with a case with straps then setting gun across the front rail and back part of the stand. but i dont trust that method. thinking it may fall. too $ to take a tumble.

Speedwell-Hunter

Multiple hooks screwed into tree; left side, right side and above my fall harness strap. That way when I am standing up, depending on which way I am facing I can grab the gun slowly from either side of tree. When sitting I rest the gun on my shooting rail corner. You have to be cognizant of this; don't knock it off the rail. Most of the time I hold the rifle with the butt of the rifle resting on my thigh and barrel up in the air.
I stand up from first light as long as I can; same with the last hour of light. Most of the time holding the rifle. If I must rest it, I hang it from the hook. I can reach it with very little movement.
so you are standing in the tree stand the entire time? wow

backyardtndeer

"Clutter trees" around the stand help A LOT. Stand is in the large dark oak tree in the middle of this pic.
20221122_104107.jpg
Zoomed in.
20221122_104107_(1).jpg

Same here lays caddycorner across the rail most of the time. If I have deer out, I usually have the gun in position. As far as getting busted, burlap or canvas could help if you don't have cover. The store bought two person stand I have up has enough cover(cedar and small trees) in front of it that I f don't have any issues.

One thing I found is that the rail on the Walmart sold stand is too low for me, I am 6'2", and it is not adjustable in any way. I use a monopod rest leaned up against the rail to get me more height for a steady rest.
Same here. Works great

Latest posts