Tree Saddle Hunters

GOODWIN

I'm wanting to be more mobile and lighter weight on public land. I'm down in MS and a lot of WMAs are full of CRP consisting of younger trees 20-30ft tall. Most of these trees you could climb up on the branches if you can get to the first branch. Even if I could just get 10-15ft in the tree would be an advantage over the tall grass/briars. I've never used a "saddle type" harness or rock climbing harness just your traditional kind. Looking for some ideas to get me started in the right direction. I'd like to be comfortable for long sits as well. I've been to saddlehunter.com and don't quite grasp all the lingo yet.

And on trees I couldn't scale using the branches what would be my options? I'm used to a climbing stands and occasionally will setup a lock-on that stays all season.(heavy stands with heavy climbing sticks).

Thanks for any advice! Merry Christmas!

cozy23

I started with a rock climbing harness and a Sit Drag. This is not the most comfortable route though. I have a Guido's Web for comfort. Comfort level goes up with s set of knee pads though.

Just need some climbing rope and carabiners after that.

Use YouTube to learn your knots. (They're all basic).

You really need some mobile climbing sticks for public land. I have 4 muddy sticks. I'll climb up 3 high and put my 4th at the same height so I have 2 of them to stand on.

Screw in steps and cheap climbing sticks for private land work great.

It's a really freeing way of hunting. I love it and will do most of my hunting this way from now on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ImThere

Goodwin,
I hunt from a sitdrag using climbing sticks. Do you have specific questions? There is a section there that defines the terms. Pm me and I will help in any way I can. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN Whitetail Freak

Any bigger guys using a hunting harness. My biggest concern is comfort. I have lower back pain and hate to spend $600 on a setup only to hate it because its uncomfortable, however I love the idea of a MANTIS setup and sub 10lb stand option that will virtually go in any tree.

ImThere

TN Whitetail Freak":4xrbp7or said:
Any bigger guys using a hunting harness. My biggest concern is comfort. I have lower back pain and hate to spend $600 on a setup only to hate it because its uncomfortable, however I love the idea of a MANTIS setup and sub 10lb stand option that will virtually go in any tree.

Lots of bigger guys in the saddle. There are several on saddlehuntercom going 6'4"+ 260# I have a size 2 Kestrel and a sitdrag you could try if your ever in the Lewisburg, Tn area.

StrungOutOutdoors

Id like to know how they are on all day hunts. Seems like they would be very uncomfortable on the legs and knees and eventually your bottom

ImThere

I'm very comfortable in my set up and have sat from before sun up to sun down. I find it as comfortable as a stand once dialed in

Anyone that wants to try one out is more than welcome to come down to Lewisburg, Tn and you can try mine out

Beaver86

ImThere":dvsn7xmx said:
I'm very comfortable in my set up and have sat from before sun up to sun down. I find it as comfortable as a stand once dialed in

Anyone that wants to try one out is more than welcome to come down to Lewisburg, Tn and you can try mine out

Pm sent

ImThere

TN Whitetail Freak":3koutony said:
I might take you up on that next time I visit the in laws in spring hill, tn
come on down, bigasports is in Springhill we could easily get you in a tree to check a saddle out!

TN Whitetail Freak

ImThere":1gxrp6hm said:
TN Whitetail Freak":1gxrp6hm said:
I might take you up on that next time I visit the in laws in spring hill, tn
come on down, bigasports is in Springhill we could easily get you in a tree to check a saddle out!

I just spent the week in the franklin Berry Farms area for training....a rather uptown place from my upbringing

bigasports

Yea I'm in Spring Hill and have a couple saddles that someone could try out and see what they think.
ImThere is def the man to talk to for saddle questions. He got me hooked on them.

TN Whitetail Freak

Well I pulled the trigger on the new mantis kit XL size. The upfront cost kinda hurt but I mitigate that aspect by keep telling my self I can recoup the cost by selling my summit goliath

bigasports

TN Whitetail Freak":2llzh348 said:
Well I pulled the trigger on the new mantis kit XL size. The upfront cost kinda hurt but I mitigate that aspect by keep telling my self I can recoup the cost by selling my summit goliath

Did you get the Predator platform also? If not what ya gonna use as a platform?

TN Whitetail Freak

bigasports":1cd3her5 said:
TN Whitetail Freak":1cd3her5 said:

Got my saddle this week, got plans to order some wild edge stepps to act as my platform

catman529

TN Whitetail Freak":1kehos6f said:
bigasports":1kehos6f said:
TN Whitetail Freak":1kehos6f said:

Got my saddle this week, got plans to order some wild edge stepps to act as my platform
last I checked wild edge was backordered/out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts