Tree saddle guys

Elmer

I am thinking about making the switch next year so I can be more mobile. I have a million questions though. It just doesn't seem comfortable, though I am spoiled with a viper so How bad are all day hunts? Can you take a snooze? How safe are these things and what about them are unsafe? When you are leaning how bad are the angles when shooting? I have confidence past 60 yards but it doesn't seem like a long shot is possible when leaning like that. Where could I demo one? Most of all compare it to a viper or ladder stand. Thanks guys

Nhill

Last i checked, they don't make the tree saddle anymore, and you can only buy the odd sizes.
Check out guido's web online, i have no hands on experience, but from everything i read i like the guido's web design better

Winchester

I like mine in certain situations where a conventional stand isnt practical. I dont use mine all the time but its a must in a serious hunters bag of tricks!

String Music

Poser pretty much hit the nail on the head. I use conventional stands for my rut hunts and the tree saddle and Lone Wolf Alpha for mobile hunts. I recently sold my Summit climber b/c I no longer use it.

The best feature about the tree saddle is the ability to hunt from almost any tree. You can spend your time hunting deer instead of the perfect tree.

There is a learning curve when you first hunt with one. As Poser mentioned, you have to find your "comfort" zone in the saddle. The saddle is the safest tree stand on the market b/c you are always attached to the tree once you leave the ground.

I use Lone Wolf's climbing sticks along with 3 cranford screw in steps for my base (I hunt private land). I have never used my saddle for an all day hunt, but I am able to stay relatively comfortable during 3-4 hour sits.

-Tree Saddle v. Climber-

Tree Saddle:
-More Mobile: weighs less and can hunt from any tree
-Less Bulk: the saddle is streamlined
-Less Noise: No metal parts, no grabbing tree limbs while hiking, no squeaky platforms, no noise when packing or unpacking
-Very Safe: you are always attached to the tree
-Less Chance of Being Spotted: you are able to hide behind a tree from approaching deer
-Easier/Quicker Setup: Tree saddle setup takes less effort and less sweat
-Don't Need to Hunt as High: Since you can hide behind the tree, you don't have to climb 25 ft up a tree to get out of the deer's sight when the leaves fall

Climber:
-Comfort: hands down more comfortable than tree saddle
-Security: some people feel safer in a climber rather than hanging by a belt
-One Stand: If hunting public ground w/ a saddle, you need to take your saddle, climbing sticks, and your base
-Experience: most hunters have used their climber for years and are reluctant to change

Ladder Stands:
-Ease of Use: you don't have to worry about setting up a stand before your hunt
-Comfort: most ladder stands are comfortable
-Shooting Rail: there's nothing like having a solid gun rest
-Somewhat Safe: I say somewhat b/c most people don't use a safety harness when hunting out of ladder stands
-Permanent: deer get used to them, but may also learn to avoid them

These are my conclusions after extensively hunting out of every type of stand. However, I do use all types of stands (except climbers) at some point during the season. I like the tree saddle when the foliage is still on the trees and visibility is low. With low visibility, you are limited in the trees you can hunt out of. When there is no foliage (usually gun season), the perfect tree isn't as important b/c you can see and shoot further distances.

fairchaser

I had a tree saddle for a brief time and sold it because the first time I tried to climb a tree with tree climbers; well lets just say it was a bad experience. The saddle was comfortable enough but if you had to carry tree steps or a stick ladder, you might as well be toting a climber. Also, you can work up quite a sweat, no to mention blisters screwing in 10 or 15 steps and its not something you want to do in the dark the morning of your hunt. The concept is great, but it takes some experience to get the system down. JMO

fairchaser

Poser said:
fairchaser said:
I had a tree saddle for a brief time and sold it because the first time I tried to climb a tree with tree climbers; well lets just say it was a bad experience. The saddle was comfortable enough but if you had to carry tree steps or a stick ladder, you might as well be toting a climber. Also, you can work up quite a sweat, no to mention blisters screwing in 10 or 15 steps and its not something you want to do in the dark the morning of your hunt. The concept is great, but it takes some experience to get the system down. JMO

I think that primary difference between carrying a climber and 15 to 20 tree steps is the fact that the tree steps are so compact. This is my "treestand" which fits comfortably into my pack:

E35B5CD1-85ED-4264-929B-995A39B23E5A-1198-0000007D1A35099F.jpg

No metal rattling, no getting snagged walking through the woods, no awkward load on my back. I also have a cheat system that allows me to skip step spacing, specially the first 3 or 4 step placements. Again, this is not for everyone and it takes some time to get your system down. My main gaol was to find the most compact system with the most versatility. I can climb virtually any tree: Trees that are both to fat and too skinny for climbers. I can easily pass limbs, even multiple limbs (I climbed a tree on opening morning where I passed 8 limbs), and I can climb trees with leaning angles that will not accomodate climbers. If I kill a deer way back in the woods, I skin and quarter and stuff it in my pack in which case I attach the step bag to the top of my pack. I just wear my Tree Saddle in and out of the woods. With this system, I am far less limited by factors that prevent other hunters from hunting entire areas of the woods. For example, in swamp bottoms, most trees have huge trunks and then taper off. Or, in new growth areas where most of the trees are saplings. I just want to be limited by as few factors as possible while being light and mobile. This system accomplishes that better than any other stand on the market.

I'm for anything that gives you an advantage. I'm almost convinced to try it again. I would love to see your cheat system in action. But, I love my climber and I use the MOLE backpacking system to carry it and its pretty comfortable to carry with those padded straps and belt support.

J-WO

I think the main thing I would miss is a shooting rail/rest when rifle season hits. Have you guys noticed a difference in accuracy for longer range shots?

Tomahawk

Nhill said:
Yes, but they are out of stock of the medium and large
You wouldn't want the medium or large. In the case of the saddle, bigger is better and much more comfortable. Both my saddles are XL for a reason.

Also as far as set ups. I find it much easier to already have climbing steps preset on most of my properties. One saddle with work with as many climbing step set ups you can afford to buy. In other words, you don't need to keep buying lock ons just the steps to get up the tree. I also use climbing spikes and find it very easy to get up and down trees with, this allows even more versatility.

A Saddle is the way to go and I highly recommend it.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Man u all have got me convinced in finding me one of these saddles. I like u dont have to carry a stand threw the woods. Might wait till end of year so i can practice all summer with it.

Latest posts