Traveling with your fishing gear?

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
How do you guys travel with your fishing gear. I'm looking to go back to the Keys around February. I want to take one of my fly rods. Its a 2 peice, 9 foot fly rod. I don't really trust the crew to handle it gently. Is it something that they will let you carry on, if it's in a rod tube?

Pilchard

I've got a couple from Simms that I really like. They hold 2 rods and two reels. And I brought the extra reels with different fly lines in my luggage.

They were 129$ each I think.

Only problem was that I mostly fished with a few one piece loomis rods. I drove to most places so not a big deal as I kept them in the boat or truck. When I flew I'd take 2 piece rods.

Last edited:

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
This is the case for the rod I want to take. I'm wondering if I can carry it on like I've seen people do with guitars.

Attachments

• 20210914_223117.jpg
    20210914_223117.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 50

Setterman

I've been fortunate to travel all over the world with my fly rods, and have never had an issue carrying them on when I went that route. Mine are 4 piece rods, but you Should be able to carry them on. I would not check a single rod case like that. Don't carry any of your flies though, as sometimes they'll get taken going through security, especially larger saltwater flies

Buzzard Breath

Carry it on, unless you want it to be a 4 piece when you get off the plane. You shouldn't have an issue with your current case. Most likely the flight attendant will put it in the front closet where the other oversize carryons go, but I have seen people put them in the overhead also.

jb3

Flown in and out of Denver a few times and usually see guys with their flyrod case as a carry-on. If you can bring a guitar as a carry-on, a fly rod should not be a problem. I've also seen large tubes which hold artwork as carry-on luggage.

Safari Hunt

First, check with the airline. A guy was carrying a rod tube through the terminal. Security guy screamed, "Rocket!" and tackled the guy. IMHO, some of the security people leave a bit to be desired in intelligence or common sense. AMHIK.

Rollo

Also check what kind of plane you'll be flying. the smaller commuter planes/jets have shorter overhead storage and sometimes no closets. They will gate check it for you but you can still get it back when you get off the plane at your layover stop. That's usually handled better than the normal checked luggage. I've always carried my shorter 3 and 4 piece rods on with no problem, even on smaller planes. Schedule 40 pvc pipe makes a great home made rod tube. hard to break that in 2".

scn

This won't work for you with your two piece rod, but, for four piece, I haven't found anything better to transport several rods and reels and keep them safe and secure:

cmn

I just carried 2 bamboo rods to Wyoming and back. I prefer traveling with my 4 piece graphite. That being said I have only had a problem 1 time with my regular tube, A flight attendant noticed it was rods and due to my previous flight delay the overhead space was too full. She put them up front in the coat closet for me. I carry 2 in a cordura covered case when I travel

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
This won't work for you with your two piece rod, but, for four piece, I haven't found anything better to transport several rods and reels and keep them safe and secure:
Might just have to buy a new rod.

Latest posts