Trapping Question?

rukiddin

As I understood it, trapping was extended year round for raccoons and possums. I don't think anyone wants a pack of hounds tearing up their woods during turkey season- trapping has a much quieter footprint and is at least as effective.

Most coon hunters don't want to kill the coon unless it's for a pup. Especially if they're competition hunters. Even coonhounds have changed styles over the years. Not all, but a lot of coonhound guys today are competition hunters and won't kill a coon unless they have to because a dog can't tree or win no money off a dead coon.
I personally think their should be a bounty on coon, skunk and possum tails. Even if was nothing more than $2/tail, it's still more than the fur market woukd give if you factor in time to skin/flesh the critter. Snip the tail off and carry on.

Wrangler95

Most coon hunters don't want to kill the coon unless it's for a pup. Especially if they're competition hunters. Even coonhounds have changed styles over the years. Not all, but a lot of coonhound guys today are competition hunters and won't kill a coon unless they have to because a dog can't tree or win no money off a dead coon.
I personally think their should be a bounty on coon, skunk and possum tails. Even if was nothing more than $2/tail, it's still more than the fur market woukd give if you factor in time to skin/flesh the critter. Snip the tail off and carry on.
I don't know about other counties but there are no coon hunters in my county of Clay anymore!!That is the reason for a gigantic coon population and turkey population is pitiful because of it!There was once a coon hunters club in my county and lots of hunters but not anymore!!

Planking

Its that way here. I would describe it as a gigantic population as well. I will trap 40 or so every year before the season closes and they just keep coming. At least the coyotes get scarce or even non existent after trapping hard.

Hduke86

@Wrangler95 this is a follow up email TWRA sent me today. 14B19236-6713-4C08-9607-7C94CEF14A2E.jpeg

Flintlocksforme

$2 bounty ! Every roadkill raccoon and opossum will be getting their tail clipped. I know I will just to help pay for gas.

megalomaniac

SO glad to hear! I run traps every time I come up... to plant, to hang cameras, to deer hunt, to turkey hunt. Before, I could only run traps around the farmhouse and barns outside official trapping season.

SO glad to be able to now run traps year round on any part of my properties I see fit!

Latest posts