Trapping Question?

Wrangler95

Some have said the trapping of racoons and possums are legal year-round and some have said it has been extended.Does anyone actually know for sure?I am gonna buy some traps if its open year-round!

Planking

"extend racoon and opossum hunting season to March 15 and double the bag limit"

This is what it said but it doesn't make any sense. A "hunting season" with double bag limits isn't going to do anything to help.

Hduke86

@Wrangler95 this is what was approved. Extended to March 15th, I know they were concerned about running dogs at night and separating cubs from their mother in certain parts of the state. E92F190D-A9BA-4A88-A6E6-6DE34DED8634.jpeg

Hduke86

This is 2022 season to give you an idea. I'm "assuming" they mean statewide season is extended but those counties in "private land" that are excluded "closed" stay the same. So going by 2022 season for example would mean you could "statewide" hunt if you're not in those closed counties from July 1st- March 15th. So no hunting April, May, June. That's just going off 2022 dates and I may have this totally misunderstood. A2F89C9B-BFAB-45C3-A953-51D8140E17ED.jpeg

Wrangler95

This is 2022 season to give you an idea. I'm "assuming" they mean statewide season is extended but those counties in "private land" that are excluded "closed" stay the same. So going by 2022 season for example would mean you could "statewide" hunt if you're not in those closed counties from July 1st- March 15th. So no hunting April, May, June. That's just going off 2022 dates and I may have this totally misunderstood. View attachment 138654
Thanks but I have no interest in hunting racoons or possums,Im only interest in the trapping of racoons or possums!!

Wrangler95

Does anyone know about the trapping of racoons or possums?Sure glad we can now kill bobcats in any open deer season,I always see them but havent been killing them.That has come to a end for me,almost had one in my lap during the turkey season!I saw a study done in South Carolina a few years ago and they found that bobcats were the #1 predator on turkeys!

Boll Weevil

Frankly I'm unsure why possums and coons are even subject to game regulations. Coyote, skunk, armadillo, beaver, groundhog...all year round no limit. They all rank right up there with field rats in my opinion...vermin. Coons and possums should be "managed" the same way...as vermin. There shouldn't even BE a season for'em.

Last edited:

Hduke86

Thanks but I have no interest in hunting racoons or possums,Im only interest in the trapping of racoons or possums!!
I'll go out on a limb and say "trapping" of them will be extended to the March 15th date. If im not mistaken (which I have been plenty) that it'll end on the same day as "hunting/taken" them for the statewide season. I did not hear of them starting the trapping season earlier for them. The only two things I recall and/or can find was the extension to March 15th and the hunting/taken limit from 2 per night and made it 4 per night. So I'll assume if you just want to trap that it'll be, I think in November if I recall to March 15th.

Wrangler95

Frankly I'm unsure why possums and coons are even subject to game regulations. Coyote, skunk, armadillo, beaver, groundhog...all year round no limit. They all rank right up there with field rats in my opinion...vermin. Coons and possums should be "managed" the same way...as vermin. There shouldn't even BE a season for'em.
I agree with you!

knightrider

Does anyone know about the trapping of racoons or possums?Sure glad we can now kill bobcats in any open deer season,I always see them but havent been killing them.That has come to a end for me,almost had one in my lap during the turkey season!I saw a study done in South Carolina a few years ago and they found that bobcats were the #1 predator on turkeys!
According to what i seen in the meeting ( which may be wrong😂)trapping will remain the same unless they put it under the hunting guidelines

Wrangler95

I'll go out on a limb and say "trapping" of them will be extended to the March 15th date. If im not mistaken (which I have been plenty) that it'll end on the same day as "hunting/taken" them for the statewide season. I did not hear of them starting the trapping season earlier for them. The only two things I recall and/or can find was the extension to March 15th and the hunting/taken limit from 2 per night and made it 4 per night. So I'll assume if you just want to trap that it'll be, I think in November if I recall to March 15th.
Thanks again for your input but I dont believe it is clear to anyone about the trapping of them.I'll go along with Boll Weevil on this one,should be no limit on them!Extending the hunting season on them and doubling the limit will have no benefit at all,no one coon hunts any more!!Open the trapping season on them year-round,that would be beneficial to the turkeys!

Hduke86

Thanks again for your input but I dont believe it is clear to anyone about the trapping of them.I'll go along with Boll Weevil on this one,should be no limit on them!Extending the hunting season on them and doubling the limit will have no benefit at all,no one coon hunts any more!!Open the trapping season on them year-round,that would be beneficial to the turkeys!
Yea they made it about as clear as mud lol. I agree that it should be year-round for sure. I've got about 15 dog-proof traps and I set them out in the middle of the property and start working my way out to the outer edges. When I start to slow down on catching then Im fortunate enough that the surrounding land owners allow me to start trapping on their properties.

Wrangler95

As I understood it, trapping was extended year round for raccoons and possums. I don't think anyone wants a pack of hounds tearing up their woods during turkey season- trapping has a much quieter footprint and is at least as effective.
I really hope your correct!I'll be buying some traps in that case!!

Wrangler95

Yea they made it about as clear as mud lol. I agree that it should be year-round for sure. I've got about 15 dog-proof traps and I set them out in the middle of the property and start working my way out to the outer edges. When I start to slow down on catching then Im fortunate enough that the surrounding land owners allow me to start trapping on their properties.
If it wasn't for the racoons and possums eating so many of the turkey eggs,I would not be wanting to kill them but they are destroying the wild turkey,I like turkey much more than racoon and possum!

woodsman04

I trap them no worry.

Raccoons and possums should be killed on site. I try to run them over on purpose, (as well as armadillo and skunks) as long as it's safe to do so.

I don't think there should be a season on them either. In the old days yes probably so because there was actually lots of coon hunters and trappers. but it's going away now.

Wrangler95

I trap them no worry.

Raccoons and possums should be killed on site. I try to run them over on purpose, (as well as armadillo and skunks) as long as it's safe to do so.

I don't think there should be a season on them either. In the old days yes probably so because there was actually lots of coon hunters and trappers. but it's going away now.
Yes,I used to go coon hunting with a friend alot but not anymore and I used to trap also!I could get into trapping again not for the sale of the fur but to help the wild turkey to survive!

Latest posts