Trapping 2020

jman 125

Man i wish i could go with ya so you could show me how its done, i checked my cat trap today, pan tension too HIGH, why, the polyfill and dirt wouldnt prevent it from firing! should I go the pan cover route?
I will tell you the only thing we do is set for coyotes. We add a few feathers on the ground around the set but other than that we set structure as in haybails and road edges around the thickest nastiest tangled up mess in cutovers we can find also thichets near water is good for us to. The main thing i will tell you is have fun with it and don't under any circumstances over think it i really think that is what you are doing. I know thats what i was doing and finally said screw it if i catch great if i dont i have fun doing it
Best of luck and hope this helps

Trapper

I thought about setting out a cat line but I can't make myself with the current prices of cats maybe they will come back. But in a good note I'm planning on giving the beaver and rats a run for their money this weekend . I've got two more places to go and set up and one to go back and check after the farmer gets his track hoe in there and tears out the dams . The last farm I was on I took out 17 beaver in a week period . I know it wasn't all of them there is a stretch of 100 acres that's probably 60 acres under water that's full of beaver but the landowner will not let anyone in and gets mad when you look at his land as you drive by . This guy is a POS I have witnessed him move on the property line on us when we had kids in there duck hunting and he would sky blast every thing that would fly just to keep us from shooting any .

Last edited:

jman 125

I thought about setting out a cat line but I can't make myself with the current prices of cats maybe the will come back. But in a good note I'm planning on giving the beaver and rats a run for their money this weekend . I've got two more places to go and set up and one to go back and check after the farmer gets his track hoe in there and tears out the dams . The last farm I was on I took out 17 beaver in a week period . I know it wasn't all of them there is a stretch of 100 acres that's probably 60 acres under water that's full of beaver but the landowner will not let anyone in and gets mad when you look at his land as you drive by . This guy is a POS I have witnessed him move on the property line on us when we had kids in there duck hunting and he would sky blast every thing that would fly just to keep us from shooting any .
Wow he is a piece of work.
Good luck on the beaver.

hammer33

Man i wish i could go with ya so you could show me how its done, i checked my cat trap today, pan tension too HIGH, why, the polyfill and dirt wouldnt prevent it from firing! should I go the pan cover route?
What kind of traps? What # does the pan tension bench test at? You only need a tuft of polyfill, just enough to keep the dirt/peat from getting under the pan. Bed trap, add polyfill, Then I sift peatmoss to cover the trap, level it out, then sift dirt over and blend with any cover materials I want to use. Only time I have a problem is if we get a ton of rain and my trap location is in a low area. Then mud fills it in and makes the trap hard to fire. Avoid those low spots if you can but one spot on the farm is so good that it gets set anyway and we deal with the mudded in trap.

Latest posts