Trail Cams

JDS

Trying to get some thoughts on cams. I am looking at getting a couple of new ones. I have no restrictions, any brand, any model, I know nothing about the various flashes so I don't have a preference. I currently only have one and it is an old Bushnell from 8 yrs ago or so. The last two years I have been borrowing and using them a lot more and its time to get my own. As you can probably figure from above statements I know very little about them. The little research I have done shows the cost of one all over the board. I would like to stay under $100 but will go up a bit if options and so forth dictate but certainly under $125. I have borrowed and used a 6 meg pixel Wildgame inovations and I liked it well enough for videos and then my old one which I am certain even the cheap ones now are far better than it is. Anyways what would you suggest as a good budget cam? Thanks

Andy S.

muddyboots":l8b3g7sj said:
My wife got me a reconyx last yr for Xmas. I hate to say it but I'm ruined now. No more 150 dollar ones for me. I'll just save until I can buy another reconyx.
Smart man, buy once cry once. I have used them for the last 6-7 years and love them. Reconyx CS has been top notch the few times I have needed them, which is rare, but good to know.

dhpro

JDS":3k8pkh6l said:
Trying to get some thoughts on cams. I am looking at getting a couple of new ones. I have no restrictions, any brand, any model, I know nothing about the various flashes so I don't have a preference. I currently only have one and it is an old Bushnell from 8 yrs ago or so. The last two years I have been borrowing and using them a lot more and its time to get my own. As you can probably figure from above statements I know very little about them. The little research I have done shows the cost of one all over the board. I would like to stay under $100 but will go up a bit if options and so forth dictate but certainly under $125. I have borrowed and used a 6 meg pixel Wildgame inovations and I liked it well enough for videos and then my old one which I am certain even the cheap ones now are far better than it is. Anyways what would you suggest as a good budget cam? Thanks
browning hard to beat !I have purchased 5 stealt cams latley can't rally comment on them yet got them in woods will let you guys know in about a month

PickettSFHunter

I think I saw browning dark ops on sale at cabelas. I'm a homebrew guy but will start transitioning to reconyx once my homebrews start dying out. Just don't have enough time to build anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Among the lower cost cams, I've recently become a fan of the Browning line in their black flash models.

But since you're trying to keep the cost down, it appears "Muddy" has a limited offering by the same manufacturer as those Brownings. These little cams have identical programming to some of the Browning cams, and again, seem to be the same cams. I would speculate quality control might not be as good.

Personally, I have no plans to ever purchase a red-flash cam, but would seem hard to beat this particular deal at the moment:
$79.95 with free shipping

http://www.trailcampro.com/collections/ ... pro-cam-10

And if you want basically that same cam in black flash, still a tad cheaper than the Browning name:
$119.95 with free shipping

http://www.trailcampro.com/collections/ ... pro-cam-12

Andy S.":2rn2z6r8 said:
For a sub $200 camera . . . . . or a Browning Dark Ops (black flash) trail camera.
That would be my general advice, too. :tu:

csi-tech

I have also had terrible luck with WGI. I bought Moultrie A7I black flash this year for about 70.00 each. Great price. I just put them out yesterday. www.chasingame.com is a wonderful site for researching different cameras.

Andy S.

Bgbuckhntr84":28kqcri2 said:
http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/gsm-stealth-camera-triad-10-0-10mp-infared-camera-stc-g42ng.html?gclid=CPy3_azB780CFVFZhgodRicJJg

I'm very happy with both of mine...that is $30 less than I paid as well
I am not a fan of Stealth cams in general, but I have heard nothing but good about this particular model (STC-G42NG). How long have you owned this camera and how much have you used it? Just trying to gauge expected longevity and reliability over time.

Bgbuckhntr84

Andy S.":1oj7bd5o said:
Bgbuckhntr84":1oj7bd5o said:
http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/gsm-stealth-camera-triad-10-0-10mp-infared-camera-stc-g42ng.html?gclid=CPy3_azB780CFVFZhgodRicJJg

I'm very happy with both of mine...that is $30 less than I paid as well
I am not a fan of Stealth cams in general, but I have heard nothing but good about this particular model (STC-G42NG). How long have you owned this camera and how much have you used it? Just trying to gauge expected longevity and reliability over time.

Just had these 2 a year I put them out in March and have over 20k pics so far on 1 and about 8k on the other...great clarity and day and night...I'll start a thread with some pics when I get them uploaded I had 2600 on the card today from a little over a week

Mike Belt

muddy....You're right! You're ruined! I tried several cams before my first ReconyX. Now when I check my cams there's never a doubt in my mind that if any deer walked by my cams I will have their pics... and generally good ones... day or night... and I'm never suspect that the batteries may have died. For all practical purposes trying to cover a lot of ground there are much cheaper routes to go that will inventory deer (if the cameras work). I like taking the "if" out of the equation.

JDS

Thank you for all the suggestions. I really would like one of the more expensive ones but right now it isn't financially practical. I do think I will go with either the Browning or the recommended Stealth. Thanks again for the help.

Vermin93

The Stealth G42NG has been a home run product for Stealth since it hit the market in 2014. I've read that the new G45NG Pro has been positioned as its replacement. However, the G42NG is still readily available for purchase, so maybe Stealth is planning to keep it around for a while longer since it become so popular.

I have 3 of the G42NG cams and have been recommending them for quite some time. I'm a big fan.

I recently purchased the new G45NG Pro, but I haven't deployed it in the field yet.

I've become a big fan of today's $125 trail cam market, especially since I'm trying to cover a lot of acreage.

Andy S.

Vermin93":3fxb26n1 said:
I have 3 of the G42NG cams and have been recommending them for quite some time. I'm a big fan.
No doubt, you are definitely the champion of this particular model and it's video capabilities. First hand knowledge and feedback like yours is what makes this site so great, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts