Trail Cams Legal on WMAs?

gil1

An outdoor writer friend is wanting to know if trail cams are legal on WMAs in TN. The written regs. are a bit confusing on this subject, and he said he got a couple of contradicting answers when he called TWRA. He's looking for factual information, not "I've never been caught" stuff. Can anyone shed light on the subject? Thanks in advance.

HuntnFishEastTN

That is my understanding, a treestand for example has to have your name and TWRA number on it if left for any amount of time, that is if you contact the area manager and they give you the go ahead.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled

I think many of us use the Tennessee Hunting & Trapping Regulations guide to determine what is allowed. There is no restriction on game cameras on WMA's as long as they are not unattended for more than 24 hours; otherwise it states there must be approval of the area manager.

On page 29 of 2022-2023:

Treestands: The use of wire, nails or other metal
material is prohibited in the building or attaching
of climbing devices or hunting stands. Portable
devices or stands that do not injure trees can be
used. Hunting from permanent, attached stands
is prohibited. Leaving any personal property, including
treestands, unattended for more than 24
hours is prohibited without prior approval of the
area manager
. WMAs require that treestands must
be marked with the hunter's TWRA ID number.

A lot of items like this are somewhat hidden in the guide. Someone might not see this unless they are specifically looking for big game regulations for WMA's.

Note: I added bold font to the quoted statement above.

Last edited:

Hduke86

The area manager for South Cherokee acted like I was stupid for even calling him about it. He said nowhere in the regs does it say you can't put a camera on public land. I'm still glad I called and got his take on it.
Lol next time put up a camera and call him right before the "leaving personal property more than 24hrs" is up and ask him then.

Latest posts