Trail cam lighting and position

Cherokee

I have had a serious photography hobby/addiction for several years. Based on what I have read in this forum and in product literature, I re-positioned my Spy Point last month. Not very happy with the results. I moved the camera to a much higher position on the tree and is pointed more downward on one of my favorite trail intersections. The goal was to have the camera less 'in your face' for the deer and reduce spooking. The problem it creates is over exposure in the center of the frame due to the lighting being concentrated on vegetation. I will either reposition slightly further away and not directed so much downward, or fabricate a diffuser for the LED bank to disperse the light better. Sharing my mistake and lesson learned - hopefully it will help someone else.
BTW, I have had several repeat customers at this location (including the one in the background of this shot) so it must not be spooking them too bad.

Attachments

• PICT0001_2020102306574dFmx.jpg
    PICT0001_2020102306574dFmx.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 74

JCDEERMAN

Looks like a fairly descent one. I am not sure on the technical aspect of the camera, but I always try and face cameras north, to reduce sunlight interference.

Cherokee

Looks like a fairly descent one. I am not sure on the technical aspect of the camera, but I always try and face cameras north, to reduce sunlight interference.
He is a decent buck. My daytime pics are ok - it is pointed North. This blowout is caused by the lighting LEDs. Thanks for the response.

Southern Sportsman

Is your camera a traditional infrared LED flash or no-glow/black flash? Since switching to black flash I can't remember a deer that seemed alert to or focused on the camera. That includes several mature bucks visiting the same camera sites many times throughout a season.

Latest posts