Traditional shooting tip

Harold Money jr

I've shot trad bows for close to 40 years and for the past several have been shooting high no matter what I do. What had felt right was still high, at best I would have 2 distinct groups one dead on, the other high like 4" high at 20 yards.
I was watching Fred bear and Howard Hill shooting videos and noticed something. They would draw and come up with the bow. All my life I've drawn high, anchored and eased down into the zone but, apparently not far enough.
Today I started low and anchored like I was going to shoot a deer in the foot. I'd then raise the bow until it felt right then release. It's been a major change for the better. My up and downs have been dead on. I'm so excited to work on this.
Anyone else have a unique thing that works for them shooting a bare bow?

CHRIS WILSON

Yep, when I was shooting barebow recurve....string walking.....or shooting gap. Not unique shooting methods....been around for long, long time....but extremely consistent once you invest the time in them.

Buzzard Breath

I've shot trad bows for close to 40 years and for the past several have been shooting high no matter what I do. What had felt right was still high, at best I would have 2 distinct groups one dead on, the other high like 4" high at 20 yards.
I was watching Fred bear and Howard Hill shooting videos and noticed something. They would draw and come up with the bow. All my life I've drawn high, anchored and eased down into the zone but, apparently not far enough.
Today I started low and anchored like I was going to shoot a deer in the foot. I'd then raise the bow until it felt right then release. It's been a major change for the better. My up and downs have been dead on. I'm so excited to work on this.
Anyone else have a unique thing that works for them shooting a bare bow?
Interesting, but it makes sense. Assuming you cant your bow, drawing low and raising your bow to the target would prevent you from ever blocking your view of where you want to hit. Where-as, if you draw high, you have to bring your bow and arm down through your line of sight.

I shoot vertical, but slightly cant my bow during the draw. My cycle starts with the tip of the arrow close to the approximate gap, draw straight back with the bow slightly canted, make adjustments for my gap, then straighten the bow to vertical and let it rip. It probably causes a little torque, but I shoot with a relaxed grip and very little hand contact with the bow. Canting the bow on the draw opens my sight window and gives me a clear view of my target.

eddie c

Sometimes I point my bow arm at the target before drawing but most of the time I draw while coming up.(selfbow mostly)
I had someone to ask me why I didn't draw high and down(compounddays). I told them if I hit my release while pointing up I wouldn't know where the arrow went and was dangerous. Drawing point down I would hit the ground.

Latest posts