Traditional Bow Help, Please

156p&y

Hey guys I'm looking into getting into shooting a long bow, but really know nothing about it. So if you could please give me advice , any is welcome. I know a lot about compounds but nothing about traditional archery. I would like to shoot wooden arrows, do they make inserts for these or do I have to glue the tips and broadheads to them? What longbow would you recommend? I was looking a PSE. Any advice on the set up?

camocowboy

Trad bows are different from compounds in that they all feel different. The best thing to do is to shoot as many different ones as you can and see which feels the best in your hands. You will find that trad guys love to share their passion for the sport so don't hesitate to ask to shoot a bow. I don't know how much you want to spend, but I would suggest one of the reflex-deflex models like Shrew. You can find a used one at a reasonable price. I would strongly advise buying a used "custom" bow if you can get it for the same price as a new production bow. Call it romance, but the love put in by the bowyers is soon apparent when you start flinging arrows. My 2 cents. JB

Phil Floyd

You might also be well advised to visit some traditional archery sites such as stickbow.com and tradgang.com.

Also, I would suggest not buying a bow and/or wood arrows just because they are cheap. There are a lot of "quality" longbows out there that do not require you to hock your children. As Jim said, used custom bows are another good option. You need to find a bow that fits you and your style. Poor quality wooden arrows will have you frustrated before you even get started.

Do NOT overbow yourself.

Check out the Tenn Traditional Archery Society. Lots of knowledge available in that organization.

keith jimmerson

If you are close enough, go to one of the Olde Farts shoots in Crossville. I went with Assian last year and he found the bow and weight he wanted to get. He then located a used bow that met his wants. This year he has taken several deer with that bow. Be warned, it is very hard and requires lots of work. Be double warned it is additive.

Latest posts