I have a Massey 451 the last of the Perkins diesel engine models, pre electronics and I love it. I must agree that having a servicing dealer or a dependable shop is important. I do work for folks who have modern (electronic) Case tractors and they have constant issues, I work another guy that has older (non-electronic) new holland and another that has older kubota that never give any troubles. Its sad when the 20 to 35 year old equipment is solid and dependable and the new modern stuff is a constant pain, expense and delay!
I think the phrase is designed to fail!
- Pick the dealer, then the tractor
- FEL with a Quick Attach feature, either SSQA or JD's proprietary bullcrap
- Get a Quick Hitch for the 3ph. Then make sure all your 3ph implements fit it. A QH is about $125 from Agri-Supply.
- Load your rear tires, preferably with Rimguard (i.e. beet juice).
- 3rd function for grapple, tree puller use
- Remote rears (at least two) for Top N Tilt on the 3ph.
I have a 37hp 4x4 ls with a fel. Six years so far without any issues. I love the tractor but if I had to do it all over again I would probably get a Kubota or kioti just because it's eventually going to have to be serviced. I got mine from Lebanon and I'll never deal with them again.