Tooth of the arrow broadheads?

squirrel_hunter

Is anyone shooting the tooth of the arrow broadheads? Been watching videos on them. They shoot like a field point. I like the cut on some of them. Made out of 1 piece stock. They look like they will last. Wondering how they perform on deer? And how they shoot out of a xbow? Never shot a fixed blade broadhead out of a xbow. Always shot mechanicals.

swd

At the speeds crossbows shoot, I cannot imagine any 4 blade head shooting like a field point. My Sevrs shoot a bit low when locked closed.

TheLBLman

I believe this would do well, but see no reason for me to switch from my somewhat similar Slick Tricks.
The original 4-blade 1" diameter Slick Trick is tried & proven on all big game, including elk & bear. Mainly bringing up the original Slick Trick because it's design & dimensions are remarkably similar to these "Tooth of the arrow broadheads".

One advantage of these (& Slick Tricks) is you can actually target shoot with the same heads you'll be using hunting. This is less practical with most mechanical heads.

I believe from an overall hunting perspective, fixed blades make more sense for most hunting. There is just less to go wrong, and most fixed blades increase the odds of a pass-thru even on heavy bone hits.

While I can't say I've personally tried & proven any "new" head on game, last year I switched over to the Slick Trick ViperTrick as believe it has a superior design for both enhanced bleeding and greater penetration than the original Slick Tricks.
Stainless Steel Version comes in 3-pack instead of 4-pack (same price)

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Be sure your arrows or bolts are designed to perform best with whatever weight head you choose. All mine are made to work most ideally with 100-gr heads, but many crossbow bolts are designed to work best with 150-gr heads. This is basically just an issue of weight with the inserts, i.e. if you want to use 100-gr heads, you use a heavier insert than if set-up for 150.

My thinking is there are much more good heads to choose from with the 100-gr weight, so my arrows are made for that weight head.

Rakkin6

At the speeds crossbows shoot, I cannot imagine any 4 blade head shooting like a field point. My Sevrs shoot a bit low when locked closed.
I have to agree also. It seems from everything I have seen that anything above 370fps the fixed heads get little wonky.

Rakkin6

No I have not tried them. one of my crossbows shoots at about 385 with a 455 grain arrow nd my other one about 420 with the same arrow. I have shot some G5 Montecs and Muzzys for sure and they went a little erratic on me. So I started using Grim Reapers and love them I do have a buddy that shoots Tooth of the Arrow out of his bow it is bout 350 FPS and they work really good.

squirrel_hunter

I watched a video on them. Guy was shooting the 125 gr one's. Shooting a 10 point that shoots 505. They grouped with field points. Then he put a concrete block up . Just too see how tuff the broadhead was. It stuck in the block but the bolt was trashed. He got the broadhead out. U could reuse it again. Just have too resharpen the blades. I like the idea not having to rebuild a broadhead . After shooting a deer with it. Just have to sharpen the blades. I also like the 1 piece design of the broadhead.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I have to agree also. It seems from everything I have seen that anything above 370fps the fixed heads get little wonky.
My Killer instinct shoots the Slick Trick broad heads pretty well at 405fps. The one I shot with it last year made it about 40 yards. I had trouble with the mechanical head, think it was a grim reaper, not deploying and not having much of a blood trail to follow. Still found the doe I shot with it, just a bullet hole on exit though. I'll stick with my Tricks this year unless it gets to where I can't find replacement blades. In which case I'll go back to old reliable Muzzys since I have several NIB ones I got from someone when they quit bow hunting.

TheLBLman

My Killer instinct shoots the Slick Trick broad heads pretty well at 405fps.
TNGunsmoke, which specific Slick Trick are you using?

I also had a decent supply of 3-blade original Muzzies, but they would not group as tight as the Slick Trick originals & ViperTricks. These are coming out at @ 400 fps from my Excal Micro Assassin 400.

squirrel_hunter

I have rocket steel heads 100 and 125 gr 1 1/8 cut. And hammerheads 100 gr 2 inch cut are all mechanicals. I have some called pig skinner 75 gr fixed cut. Is the wicked ridge shooting too fast for them older broadheads? Would they open before they hit? I have 125 gr muzzy fixed blade. I know some fixed blades are hard to get them too group. I was looking at the tooth of the arrow because of the 1 piece designed.

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
I have rocket steel heads 100 and 125 gr 1 1/8 cut. And hammerheads 100 gr 2 inch cut are all mechanicals. I have some called pig skinner 75 gr fixed cut. Is the wicked ridge shooting too fast for them older broadheads? Would they open before they hit? I have 125 gr muzzy fixed blade. I know some fixed blades are hard to get them too group. I was looking at the tooth of the arrow because of the 1 piece designed.
Honestly it sounds like you will have to try them out in order to get your true answer. What works for one bow might not work for another. You could always build a heavier crossbow arrow to slow it down just a little bit too

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
TNGunsmoke, which specific Slick Trick are you using?

I also had a decent supply of 3-blade original Muzzies, but they would not group as tight as the Slick Trick originals & ViperTricks. These are coming out at @ 400 fps from my Excal Micro Assassin 400.
Just the original 100gr regular Slick Trick 4 blades.

TheLBLman

Just the original 100gr regular Slick Trick 4 blades.
Glad to hear that.

Many hunters have been over-marketed "larger" heads on the premise bigger is always better.

But generally speaking, the smaller the broadhead, the more accurate and the greater it's penetration, especially when it encounters large bones.

Decades ago, I spoke with an accomplished elk killer who used a very small 3-blade head (which I don't think survived all the marketing for larger heads). If I remember correctly, this head was only 7/8" in diameter. I simply asked why such an expert archer & accomplished bowhunter was using those tiny things.

His answer was enlightening:

1) Unlike larger broadheads, these tiny ones always provided complete pass-thrus, which he felt was a big deal to insure recovery.

2) Smaller heads were more accurate, and less likely to plane from wind, a bad release, or simply nicking some vegetation.

3) Shot placement is more critical than inches of blade.
Hit the deer in the right place, get a complete pass-thru, and you should recover that deer.

Will also add he was shooting a compound bow (not a crossbow) where there was more likelihood of a bad release effecting arrow flight, and a bad release can really throw off the poi with a large broadhead.

But one other thing stood out.
He said that by going to a much smaller head, he could then fletch with much smaller feathers, and that greatly helped to retain downrange arrow velocity, which in turn greatly flatten trajectory beyond 40 yds.

Remember, elk are a much larger animal than a deer, and a high-probability shot can be made at greater distances. I'm also thinking he had just killed a big bull at @ 80 yds, and got a complete pass-thru with those tiny heads!

It was also about this time I was shooting a 1 1/2" diameter head for which anything less than a perfect release, the poi would move 6 inches at 30 yds! Went to a smaller head and never had much more issue with less than perfect releases.

squirrel_hunter

I have never shot at one pass 30 yards. Woods are thick in most places. I used to use a pse starfire 2. With pucket blood trailers broadheads. We used to have fall turkey season with a bow. That xbow was so slow. But i killed 11 turkeys and 9 deer with it over the yrs. Never shot pass 25 yards with that setup. I think that broadhead was like a 1 1/8 cut. If a person shot a good fixed blade head. And a fast xbow and shooting 30 yrds or less. With a good carbon bolt. Would a person get good penetration with the setup? If they happen to get in the shoulder?

Rakkin6

I have never shot at one pass 30 yards. Woods are thick in most places. I used to use a pse starfire 2. With pucket blood trailers broadheads. We used to have fall turkey season with a bow. That xbow was so slow. But i killed 11 turkeys and 9 deer with it over the yrs. Never shot pass 25 yards with that setup. I think that broadhead was like a 1 1/8 cut. If a person shot a good fixed blade head. And a fast xbow and shooting 30 yrds or less. With a good carbon bolt. Would a person get good penetration with the setup? If they happen to get in the shoulder?
Yeah you would get a pass through. For good carbon arrows call South Shore Archery. For a fixed blade I know that the Tooth of the Arrows has mentioned above are good and a lot of guys like Slick Trick heads also.

MsuFinProf

I am hunting elk in eastern KY in a few weeks. They run about 20% larger that elk in western states so an 800 plus pound bull is not out of the question.

I have two broadheads to try out of my TenPoint Vapor RS470. With 455 grain arrows is it is shooting 440fps. One is the QAD Exodus 100 grain crossbow head and one is the NAP DK4 hybrid 100 grain point. Will be shooting both this week and let you know the results. My preferred max shot will be 60 yards. If neither shoot like I want, I will give something else a try. If I were deer hunting I don't think I would hesitate to shoot a mechanical head, although I am a Muzzy guy from back in my vertical bow days.

stevevtx04

Squirrel_Hunter I'm sure you have made a decision at this point but I'm just seeing this being a new member. I didn't see any comments from anyone actually using TOTA broad heads so I thought I would give you my real world experience since I use them. I use the 175g solids shooting a Ravin R10 and love them. I shot 2 does this year with the same bolt/head combo and had pass thrus on both deer. 1st doe was at 59 yards and 2nd doe was at 52 yards, neither went 50 yards but both were good lung/heart shots. I like that you can sharpen them and they are extremely durable. The 2nd doe I shot the bolt went thru her and stuck in a log about 5 feet behind her. I dug that bolt out and both the bolt and BH are still good, just had to touch up the broad head.
BH up close 2.jpg
BH in log.jpg