Too old for this crap.

MUP

Supporter
Man, that brings back memories....some painful. 😬 Working after school in the hayfields, loading that day, and I forgot my gloves. Couldn't go back to the house or I'd lose an hr of pay, so stuck it out. The guys finally gave me a break and put me on top stacking instead of throwing.

PalsPal

Did hay a few times. Hated it, especially if the stacker screwed up and you lost a few bales and had to reload.

Still remember the son of the farmer being able to sling a bale all the way to the top of the barn. Dude didn't look overly strong, but he was.

Chopped and hung tobacco.... once.

I had other options for money and I took them.

RUGER

Supporter
Threw a bunch of nickels growing up for sure.
I much preferred to haul hay he was selling to what he was keeping.
Lighter but they would grub worm on ya if you weren't careful.

eddie c

Only did it 1 time. I was visiting my brother when his neighbor hollered for help to haul a "few". I went along to be neighborly. He had horses and mini horses. My brother had a pony. I helped with the first 16ft trailer load and started back to the house after we got it in the barn he hollered WE'RE NOT DONE YET!!. I said I was. I was around 40 at the time and was in no shape to work that hard.
Wasn't even offered a beer.

Knothead

Ugh!! Hauled many, many bales of hay back in my younger days (70’s) Hot, miserable job!! Actually, stacking the bales in the loft of the barn w/ a tin roof in August is about as close to Hades as one can get.

MUP

Supporter
Ugh!! Hauled many, many bales of hay back in my younger days (70’s) Hot, miserable job!! Actually, stacking the bales in the loft of the barn w/ a tin roof in August is about as close to Hades as one can get.
And at the top, banging the roof and walls and having the wasps descend upon you with a vengeance! 😧 Took a dive off the top and rolled to the bottom several times!

OldGoat68

Threw many a trailer full during my early days. Wouldn't want to do it again, but looking back at it now, we did have some fun.

1908_Cubbies

Supporter
Definitely something all teenage boys need to experience.

The farmer that I worked for my teenage/early 20's years would have 4 of us on the ground and 2 on the trailer. He had a big green cab tractor with a tall gooseneck trailer. He'd put his tractor in about jogging gear, crank up the AC and music and would never look back. Once he noticed a couple of puke piles in the field, he'd stop and load us up on lemonade for about 10 minutes and then get back to it. We all complained and fussed the whole time but would always come running every time the phone rang. Getting that little bit of cash that we TRUELY earned always made the pain go away. I always loved sitting around exhausted at the barn with the guys for an hour or so listening to the farmers stories.

Knothead

I know a kid that needs to spend his weekends throwing those for .25 a bale.

we did it for .25/bale if we were using the farmer’s truck. If using our own truck, he was gracious enough to pay us .50/bale. 😣 It was good experience and we were proud of the hard earned cash, but I don’t miss it one bit.

Lost Lake

Supporter
I still have to put up quite a bit of hay every year, and remember being practically slave labor as a kid for everybody who needed help putting it up.

Several times I’ve watched as “old men” worked high school football teams into the ground in two days of putting up hay. One guy in particular who was about 70 would just laugh at the kids working too fast and falling out in the edges of the fields and crying.

Just for fun he’d occasionally throw a bale over a high stack on the trailer just to see the looks on their faces. 😂

Crappieaddict

I’ve worked many hours for Dad, Grandfather, Uncles, etc. What I don’t remember is getting paid, because I didn’t! It was expected. I started when I was so little that all I was able to do was drive the tractor. Dad would start me down the rows and jump off when I got going. I was instructed to not use the brake or clutch, just turn the key off. Actually, great memories.

BigRod

Funny story, we were putting up hay at my aunt and uncles, it was your typical day in the hay field, I was younger then Eli. I was about to thirst to death, and told dad. He said get ya something out of the cooler boy. I opened the cooler and it was just ice and PBR. I said dad, there's just beer in here. He said grab one and don't tell your mother!!

MoonBuzzard

Supporter
They stack em tall in some places 😁

I took this pic while traveling one year. Never seen it stacked that tall here in the states

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Latest posts