Too old for this crap.

Grnwing

My uncle used to say we were building character by throwing square bales. Luckily he had a kicker so we only had to unload the jumbled mess and stack them in the hay barn. Apparently I didnt build enough on his farm and he volunteered for me to help out on the neighbors farm. By then end of the summer i had character coming out of my @ss.

DoubleRidge

Nice load of hay.....we haul 250 to 300 each year....100% gets eaten....no cows all horses and a mule...no waste.....but it's work getting it in the barn.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

Good memories. Did this all the way up through graduating college. Back in the day it was a family thing. I was the stacker and got to touch what seemed like every bale.

No doubt.....the stacker touches every bale on the trailer ....then again in the barn....but I like riding the trailer stacking better than walking and throwing.

DoubleRidge

That was my first summer time job, we moved from Ohio and I had never heard the word britches lol “boss” told me to wear old britches and I had to call my mom to find out what they were haha

Hilarious......but all joking aside....in addition to britches....a long sleeve shirt is nice when stacking.... inside of forearms get eat up.....big stack squared out in barn is hard work...but very rewarding.

Rob R.

Loaded and unloaded lots of hay in the late 70’s. I learned real fast to wear long sleeve shirt and britches. After the first year I got to be the stacker. The man I worked for said he’d never seen so much hay on one pickup truck. It was hot filthy work but seemed very fulfilling when the field was empty and the barn was full.

Chief44

As kids, we went around every summer hauling hay for whoever would hire us. Going rate at that time was 5 cents a bale. When we would cut the hay on my grandpas place, there would be teenagers waiting in the driveway hoping they would get picked to work. We could only hire so many and would have to turn the others away. How times have changed, how many teenagers do you think would be willing to do that kind of work in this day and age.

MsuFinProf

Made a nickel a bale in high school. ..82 to 86. Was a great day when we moved 1,000 bales and I made $50. Thought I was rich!!! Only took about 12 hours on a good day with no breakdowns. Typically 4 (including tractor driver) on a crew. Oh...and free Mountain Dew...those were the days.

Kimber45

I still remember the high school intercom in the late 70’s at our school announcing what farmer/s needed help for chopping, hauling, stacking etc etc etc.. The deal was, if the farmer gave the principal a thumbs up on your work, you got a 100/grade at school (plus what the job paid) for the day.. excluded from most homework. I hauled a LOT of hay, straw, green funky bailed weeds :D .. chopped what seemed like a hundred thousand miles of row crops. Learned how well that chewing tobacco worked on wasps stings REAL quick too. Gotta love it when you’re dripping wet, burning up in a barn stacking, and gettin stung lol. Fun times though

Last edited:

dsa5455

Did this most every year as a kid at around ten until my teens. Actually some of my fondest memories for my uncle and my dad while they had cattle. You couldn't pay me enough money to do it now, well maybe drive the truck.

Latest posts