Tom's BBQ

TAFKAP

I took a client out to Tom's BBQ at Getwell & Raines today and decided to try their pulled pork. I have only tried Tom's once before, and I had to get a rib tip plate to go, since I was pressed for time. I also wanted to reserve judgment on them until I could try the BBQ.

Well, color me disappointed. The meat was OK, and I bit down on way too many hunks of fat/gristle.....you know, that squishy stuff that's not quite meat, but not quite gristle? I'd give it a 5 out of 10, mainly because it wasn't Rendezvous. The sauce was too sweet. The slaw was too thick, and the turnip greens had absolutely no flavor.

The rib tips were very tasty, although after having eaten the rib tip offerings at both Cozy Corner and Interstate BBQ, I'd prefer theirs over Tom's. Although, Tom's tips were very flavorful (he uses a Greek seasoning profile, which is much different than any rib rub in town), and they did go well with the sauce. But there's not much meat on them, and you have to work pretty hard for it.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, steer away from the BBQ and go with what he's famous for.....the tips.

Latest posts